You can type here any text you want

Best Place To Live In Florida??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NJTurbo

Simply The Best
I have been kicking around moving for a little while. I like the thought of Florida and so does wife. We use to have a house when i was little in New Port Richie was nice. Where is the water better east coast or west coast? I would like to live near water that is like Bahama water, my wife thinks the gulf is nicer however i think the Atlantic is nicer any feedback would help.

Thanks Guys

Bahama water? is that the clear stuff you see on all the commercials? i dont see much of that here on the west coast but i dont go to the beach often. i went to the Keys once and if i had to pick a place to live it would be there.

west coast is redneck country the east coast is all the dam northerners that cant figure out how to use voting booths

South Florida is WAY overcrowded. The houses are WAY WAY overpriced.

North Florida is South Georgia.

I would say that the Tampa / St. Pete area would be the #1 choice. Naples is good too. Try researching it online at realtor.com or something. Good luck.

Rember, it is really HOT down here.:D

Well I can give you a GOOD comparison as I just moved to the Lauderdale area from Ft Myers on the Gulf Coast.

I hope I don't offend anyone, because some of the comments are ethnic related.

First, I personally don't know much about N Fl (N of Sarasots, West Palm line) as it gets COLD North of there. The sub-tropical line runs across the state south of Tampa. So most of my comments are about areas south of there.

West coast is indeed more Redneck. Lots of them big ol pickum up trucks, snuff using good old boys. Still lots of horse areas, cattle ranches, BIG open areas and available land. I lived in Ft Myers since 1972. There are lots of areas with low income people, migrant farm workers, etc. BUT there are also (in the newer developed areas) some very expensive developments.

Lauderdale, Miami area has the problem that they can build only out to the edge of the Everglades and a LOT of that is already built out. I moved over here thinking I'd go out and buy 1-5 acres of land or a big lot and build a house. WRONG. That doesn't exist over here. It is all developments with houses so close together you can stand between 2 houses and piss on both. BUT that is about all that exists over here and based on the developments, there are plenty of people buying them. Also, a comparable house in the Ft Myers area is close to $100K cheaper. I bought a 1 1/2 acre beautifle house, oak trees, 3/2 with 2 1/2 car garage, screened pool, etc for $160,000 2 years ago after my house burnt down. You couldn't touch that house over here for under $300K.

If you like the city, East Coast. No matter where you drive, it's city but anything you want is over here. On the West coast you can drive 20 -40 minutes and be in the country. You can go out any day and buy 5 acres or a decent lot. There is TONS of land available over there. NONE on the East Coast.

If my girlfriend didn't have a GREAT paying job over here, I'd talk her into going back West. There are all the ammenities, good restaurants, movies, etc BUT at least if you want to get away from the city, you can.

I think the West Coast beaches are nicer and a LOT cleaner. Gulf water is always warmer than the Atlantic. Fishing is different with NO dolphin, sail, wahoo, kings, etc on the West, but then there are lots of snook, reds, tarpon, trout. Also the West coast has lots more protected bays. East coast is the busy intercoastal ditch or the ocean. NEITHER coast will give you water like you mentioned until you get down into the keys and then that gets REAL expensive.

Ft Myers population more than doubles in the Winter with elderly snowbirds (we call then Q-tips) that can't drive and think since they are visitors, everyone should kiss their asses. Not so much seasonal influx on East coast. BUT there are a LOT more hispanic people here that refuse to talk english and are obnoxious. Not to say the snowbirds aren't.

So It's a tossup. I like the quieter pace of the West Coast but salaries are a lot better on the East. LOT bigger job base too.

Feel free to write me and ask specific questions. Most people over here can't understand WHY I came here from the West coast, they all say they want to go over there.

Terry

Terry pretty much nailed it. East coast south of West Palm is one big city for over 100 miles from miami to west palm. Its a fast paced environment. Everything you could ever want is over here except for land. I work for a development company, and there is no more land to buy, so prices for houses is going up quickly.

In my opinion the weather offsets any downsides to living here. Expecially after listening to everybody about the snow this winter. I moved down here from Indiana 12 years ago, and in my opinion the hot summers down here are much better than the cold winters up north.

if you ever get serious, and your heading to south florida my dad is a real estate apprasier, so maybe he can recommend you over to some one who can help you find a place...

-neil

I like the West coast. The Gulf has calmer water as compared to the Atlantic. The west coast is a slower pace, less populated, less chance of a direct hit from a hurricane, fishing is good, Housing is cheaper, people still use their whole hand when waving verses one finger, Bradenton has a very well prepped 1/4 mile track.................

I think your wife is right, but deep down inside, you know she's right too, huh? LOL :D

Ed

Cool thanks for the tips. I will look you guys up when we go down there to check it out. ;)

Hey NJ........................

Wanna come to Kansas? We are all rednecks here! Except me of course!:D ;)

My advise to everybody!!!

Move to the east coast and leave the west coast to me <grin>
Really, Northwest Florida is perfect, "Redneck Riviera" voted top ten beaches in the world.
Great fishing if that is your gig, my house is 1 block from the water, but we hardly ever go to the beach ( don't want sand in the GN or Impala ) really great laid back party area, close enough to "city life" for me.

Land still available, money not as good, weather is a nice cross, 1 or 2 weeks of cold ( 40's to 20's )

Bugs are worse down south, too many homos in the keys, may as well be in Cuba on that end ( required redneck content )

I moved to Pensacola a year ago from the Midwest and I love it here. We've been all over Florida and we even have relatives in the Naples area. Pensacola had everything we were after. It has the BEST Fla beaches, clear bathtub warm water most of the year, and a laid back southern lifestyle. "Rednecks" aren't a problems. In fact at least most of them are into cars. The biggest plus is cheap housing. You can live on the water here for 1/4 of what it would cost you in Naples. A negative would be that it's hard to find jobs in this area outside of healthcare.

Good Luck,

James

PS if you need more info about this area PM me...

Actually, I think rednecks are a lot smarter than us city slickers. I always lived in the City. I was born and raised in Philadelphia. Got tired of the cold weather and moved to Tampa in 1985. It was nice then..........now it's conjested and you can't get from here to there because of the traffic.

Five years ago, I bought 8 acres and now I live in the country, but only 25 minutes from Tampa. Nice and peaceful and nobody minding my business. Rednecks have been doing this for a long, long, time. So maybe their not so dumb. ;)

I agree. I lived on 1 1/2 acres in Ft Myers for the last 30 years (till house burnt down) and was in the country. I could shoot guns in the yard for the Forth, etc.

NOW in Lauderdale, you can stand between the houses and piss on either one, it's a gated community with a organization and I've been here 3 months and been cited 3 times already for WEEDS growing in my paver driveway and flower beds. I THINK we'll make the big bucks here for a few years, reap the inflation on the house prices, sell and go back to the West coast and buy something for 100K less and on more land.

Terry

Thats why I refuse to live in a gated community. Too many upity people. I live in a blue collar neighborhood. I had a party when I first moved in, and over 100 people showed up. We had cars lined up along the road for 2 blocks on both sides, 20 cars in my front yard etc and nobody called the cops. I think I'm the only white collar guy in the hood. Only problem is that since I moved in 5 years ago, the house values have tripled and only white collar people can afford them now. My 3/2 '50s ranch house went from 100k to 300k in 5 years.

Back