You can type here any text you want

Bill Sikes TTA

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
Anyone have any info on this car or its buildup. I know it was pictured in the old ATR catalogs.. but never saw any engine shots, down pipe, or exhuast work.

Any info would be appreciated.. just trying to see what I can learn :)

I have an old issue of Turbo & High-Tech Performance magazine that has a write up of Bill Sakes car w/pics. If ya want I can try to find it and scan the article. I dont know how much applies to a stock block/heads TTA though.

Sakes.jpg

If I remember correctly, single turbo stage 2 car w/DFI on 10.5 slicks. Around 3500 lbs, TH400 tranny and 3.90 gears. I know it went 9.27 @ 147.12(5.81 @ 119.85 1/8th on a 1.36 60ft). That was back around 1998-99

HTH,
Steve

AC was yanked, custom 3" downpipe to ATR exhaust. Car had M&A aluminum heads, ATR S.S. headers.

260 S2
ATR roller .548/276 int. .536/272 ex.
ATR liquid IC
DFI
72 #'ers
ATR double pumper
K. Belle Stage 7 turbo
TH400
Currie 3:50

Thanks Steve and Frank..

I was hoping to see what could be learned from that car, and apply it. As knowledge of those that have done different things can always be applied. Like the weight of 3500 lbs..headers, downpipe, etc.. lot of info..

Steve if you could scan it.. be awesome..

72 lb injector seem a bit small for those numbers.

Any other pixs floating around???

Razor said:
Thanks Steve and Frank..

I was hoping to see what could be learned from that car, and apply it. As knowledge of those that have done different things can always be applied. Like the weight of 3500 lbs..headers, downpipe, etc.. lot of info..

Steve if you could scan it.. be awesome..

72 lb injector seem a bit small for those numbers.

Any other pixs floating around???

Yeh, 72# inj. seemed a little light, but that is what the article stated.
I'm not 100% on this, but talking to others about the car, the 9.27 was
done after he ripped the drivetrain out and put it into a lighter base model
firebird, with the proper cage. The TTA only had a six point cage, which the article alludes to at the end.

If you need a scan, lemme know.

here's a pic of a third gen with that other engine that came in them :wink:

Last I knew he's running 9's too!

Yeah I know it has nothing to do with the topic :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 305 turbo.jpg
    305 turbo.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 305 turbo 2.jpg
    305 turbo 2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 305 turbo 3.jpg
    305 turbo 3.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 91
With that stock, tourqe biased intake designed for a 305 Cu.In. engine.

Hence the pm's I've sent you :wink:

trading t/a said:
here's a pic of a third gen with that other engine that came in them :wink:

Last I knew he's running 9's too!

Yeah I know it has nothing to do with the topic :rolleyes:

That's a 305? Looks like a 350 TPI motor. I saw a car that looked pretty similar to that at the Trans Am nationals.
TANATS5.jpg

TANATS6.jpg

this other car is a 305 ... Stock ??? yup !!! just like my Stage2 project :p If you saw this car on the street you wouldn't give it a second look .. just an old CLEAN Camaro... Idles like a ***** cat and it's quiet :eek:

From my understanding, Mr Smith arrived at that 305ci in a different manner than GM did lol. That car is legendary :cool:

I am pretty sure that Red TA is a guy I know. If that is his car it is a 406 DART block with a PTE88. I think AFR 220s. He got a lot of those parts from my other buddy who had a blue IROC. The guy with the Blue IROC did most of the fabricatng. The blue IROC went 10.80s at 5lbs of boost with it. I forgot what the MPH was. Then he got tired of being in debt from that car and sold all the parts to his friend with the red TA. lol

Sweet6 said:
I am pretty sure that Red TA is a guy I know. If that is his car it is a 406 DART block with a PTE88. I think AFR 220s. He got a lot of those parts from my other buddy who had a blue IROC. The guy with the Blue IROC did most of the fabricatng. The blue IROC went 10.80s at 5lbs of boost with it. I forgot what the MPH was. Then he got tired of being in debt from that car and sold all the parts to his friend with the red TA. lol

ummmm "Guido" ???? :confused:

Yes, Guido was the Blue Iroc guy. Small world.

That car should fly with 30lbs of boost. :)

Preston Smith's car was a 4.020X3.00 motor. IIRC the reason he did it was that if Mustangs could do it on that same bore/stroke motor with a long runner intake why can't a Chevy....

As with any combo it's all in the tune and I'm sure he's spent many a day tuning that beast.

Back