boost guage Q

pwhite

Trying to install My boost guage and was wondering wtf the deal is . athe instrutions say to tee into the line on the passenger side just infront of the trans. dip stick. Is this right . the guage does not work off this line. it seems to be a vac. line.

On another note I also just installed a scanmaster2.1 and I am getting a mal. code for the tps. its set at 46 at idle and when i give it gas wile in park it jumps to 56 . is this a reading that needs to be taken in drive . What should your o2s be at idle? sorry for posting in the wrong form thanks:confused:

Sorry about all the stupid questions but i also installed a tac. as well. I tied into the green conector behind the alternator. it does not work at all the one my dash has stayed lit up all the way across since i bought the car. thanks for any help you can give

if your tach is a VDO, more than likely it needs to be modified....if you bought it new, VDO will do the "5 V square wave mod" for free....

many are selling these tachs without the proper mod to work with our cars

Bought the tach from postons how do i go about finding out if i need the upgrade. Vac =boost so the gauge reads vac? can i get a boost reading in park ? I should prob know this but bare with me this is my first experience with a turbo car.... thanks

when the engine is idling or under vacuum, the boost gauge will read zero (unless it is a vac/boost guage, then it will read the vac)...and no, you cannot read boost in neutral, because there will be none...you have to load the engine to build boost...put it in gear and drive it, step on the gas and you'll see boost...

if you bought the tach from Postons, then VDO should fix it for free...you will have to send it to VDO, tho

if it doesn't work and is wired correctly, then it is not set up for our cars and needs to be modified...shame on these vendors!!

I would recommend you visit www.gnttype.org and do a lot of reading

http://gnttype.org/maint/malf.html

There's a list of codes above that will help you out some. First of all, the tps is probably set a little high at .46. Try adjusting it to around .42 & see if that helps. There is an orange wire located directly in front of the battery. Unplugging it there will clear the codes from the ecm (computer). Naturally, the code will reappear if the ecm still sees something wrong.

O2 volts will vary some at idle & when you blip the throttle. What you really need to look at is the o2 cross counts (or cc's). They should be fairly active & changing. Sometimes when an o2 sensor is going bad the cross counts will appear what we call "lazy", & they won't move much at all.

As azgn stated, there's an awful lot of learning info located on the above site, & it's recommended reading to help get you more familiar with your car. We're right here if you need some more assistance. These cars can be a little tricky, especially if you're not familiar with them. You have more questions? Ask away bud.:)

Thanks for taking time to reply I am all for any reading material to learn from so any more good sites you know of would be greatly appreciated ...