You can type here any text you want

"Born On" date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Johnnie

First off, this site is a windfall of information and it is very much appreciated , especially by this new GN owner. But my question is, which set of numbers on the options tag / sticker in the trunk corresponds to her date of manufacture and location of assembly?

BTW, those that wonder why I refer to this car as "her "' , she is stunningly beautiful and evil-wicked (fast) just like an old girlfriend of mine. And my first "matted" run from a dead stop she slid sideways and scared the livin' you-know-what outta me..... damned near bit me in the a$$....

There's no born on date on your trunk's spid label. Check the label on your d/s side door, the month and year is printed on that tag. I even found a build sheet stuffed inside my d/s door that had it printed on there. You can even look under your car, there's a date stamp located on the back of the rear cross member, above the rearend housing for when the frame was built.

What your spid label should have if it's an 87 TR is FFL and PON. Flint, MI plant would've done the body and Pontiac, MI plant would've done the final assembly. I'm unsure if this is true for all TRs, other than 87. But if your label has these 2 codes, you now know what they correspond to.

Last edited:
best you can do from car is narrow down the week from the cowl tag
http://www.gnttype.org/numbers/rpo.html
look at the three digit time code top line of cowl tag ... number is the month and the letter is for week A-1 B2 C3 D4 , looking at a calender for that year you can see what 7 days the week code could be.
keep in mind that in 87 for the GN there was so much demand that they extended the normal model year which should have only been sept1 1986 to aug 311987 , instead gns were built from sept 1986 through Dec 11 1987, so lets say your code is an 11A thats first week november but theres two septembers ,octobers novembers and decembers in the 87 GN model

if you have the broadcast sheet (taped on lower panel in the driver door ) it has a date with month and day and usually thats the day it went together

assembly was only at the G body plant in pontiac michigan

Attachments

• 0923141416a.jpg
    0923141416a.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Back