You can type here any text you want

boston, infinity, or polk?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SpoolinUpGN

Hey guys,

I have the stock speaker set up for my 87 GN, no CSII package just plain old 4x10's and 3.5's. My new deck is a Sony CDX-M610 and it has power to fuel these systems without an amp, from what i've read.

My question is which set-up is going to give me the best sound? Remember... NO DOOR SPEAKERS... just the 6x9's and 3.5's. I don't want to upgrade, I just want replacement speakers. also i listen to mostly classic rock, some rap here and there when i'm in the mood. thanks for any input in advance,

joe

All 3 are good choices. I myself have the Infinity Kappa's. Reason I chose those initally was the 3 year warranty. I figured with the amount of power I wanted to use (50 watts to each of old skool HiFonics) that there may be a "learning curve" in how much power they could take. But that was many years ago and they still work great. The key to longevity of 3 1/2's is knowing what they can and cannot do. What they cannot do is reproduce bass notes. That being said I highly recommend putting some type of bass blocker.

Infinities are good. I have the Kappa 6x9s in mine.

I have Polk 5 1/4"s in my door, and the left one is blown. (Being powered only by the deck) I know I didn't overpower it. Maybe it was just too sensitive. Maybe it needed more power than my Pioneer CD player could provide.

Ross

I just ordered infinity kappas for my GN from IKESOUND.com
they had the best prices. I asked about bass blockers for the front speakers and the tech there, Anthony said you don't need them.
Tarey D.

I asked about bass blockers for the front speakers and the tech there, Anthony said you don't need them.
I believe the new Infinity's come with a blocker. If they don't, put one on.

Originally posted by ross87t
Infinities are good. I have the Kappa 6x9s in mine.

I have Polk 5 1/4"s in my door, and the left one is blown. (Being powered only by the deck) I know I didn't overpower it. Maybe it was just too sensitive. Maybe it needed more power than my Pioneer CD player could provide.

Ross

Yeah, Ross... You have right on that thing. The main reason to why a speaker blows is that the amp doesnt turn out enough power to the speaker...

A example: If you play "normal" loud, its not a problem.... Cause the deck turns out well 4x50 watt (thats probably 4x17 RMS watt)When you turn up the music on your deck, the watts in the deck decrease dramaticly! So you may end up with playing around 4x2 RMS watts... and thats to small amount. And thats why the speaker begins to distortion. The cones in the speaker "shakes" apart.

Well sorry for my bad english :) Im just a silly swede, haha.

Daniel

Originally posted by SpoolinUpGN
Hey guys,

I have the stock speaker set up for my 87 GN, no CSII package just plain old 4x10's and 3.5's. My new deck is a Sony CDX-M610 and it has power to fuel these systems without an amp, from what i've read.

My question is which set-up is going to give me the best sound? Remember... NO DOOR SPEAKERS... just the 6x9's and 3.5's. I don't want to upgrade, I just want replacement speakers. also i listen to mostly classic rock, some rap here and there when i'm in the mood. thanks for any input in advance,

joe
My question is which set-up is going to give me the best sound? Remember... NO DOOR SPEAKERS... just the 6x9's and 3.5's.

My question is which set-up is going to give me the best sound? Remember... NO DOOR SPEAKERS... just the 6x9's and 3.5's.

The main reason to why a speaker blows is that the amp doesnt turn out enough power to the speaker...
Only true for tweeters. Being underpowered usually results in clipping which is very damaging to them. Mids and woofs usually only blow when they are given too much power. Especially woofers. Ever see a woofer that has the spider ripped apart. That is from being over driven.

I just a pair of Boston 3.5in for the dash (FX3 model). Not an audiophile or anything, but I think they sound great.

Back