You can type here any text you want

brake problem/question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

john saleeby

Problem: The passenger side of the brake fluid resrvoir has only about an inch of fluid in it. I changed out the drum brakes, vacuum bled all four wheels (no leaks at the wheels). The pedal feels good and responsive when driving. The brake idiot light does Not come on.

Initially the passenger side of the resorvoir was about three quarters full, yet when I braked on a test drive, the pedal moved very little and was stiff requiring a lot of foot pressure to stop the car. The brake idiot light would come on.

Shouldn't the passeneger side of the resorvoir have more that an inch of fluid in it (the driver side is near the top of the resorvoir)?

Will having too much brake fluid on the passenger side (coupled with the fluid in the Accumalator) make the pedal stiff and not allow proper braking?

Or is there a problem elsewhere?

Thanks for the help.

You check the fluid when the accumulator is pumped down (10 pedal pumps-key off). Only then should it be full. This is the bowl for the high pressure side of the sytem. When the system is pumped up (charged, pressurized) it should be 'about' half full. The fluid is pumped into the acc as it is you pressure reserve for power braking.

Having too much fluid in it will typically lead to spewn fluid on your engine compartment if the acc looses pressure for whatever reason. To my knowledge, it should not cause hard pedal feel. I suppose it is possible if the bowl cover holds on when you push the pedal. Just unlikely. Hard pedal feel is typically a sign of a dying or dead acc ball.

If the light is coming on and the pedal is hard to push, you need to run your diagnostics testing and determine what is at fault.
Brake System

The fluid in the ds of the bowl is for your wheels - or - your typical mastercylinder.

If the light is coming on and the pedal is hard to push, you need to run your diagnostics testing and determine what is at fault.
Brake System

WOW this is what is happening with my T. The light will always flash on any brake pedal depress. But when the car is cold or just started & have push the brake like a gorrilla to get it to stop the car. if i press slowly it works better but if I hit it fast it is like having nothing happen. Scares the CXXP out of me.

WOW this is what is happening with my T. The light will always flash on any brake pedal depress. But when the car is cold or just started & have push the brake like a gorrilla to get it to stop the car. if i press slowly it works better but if I hit it fast it is like having nothing happen. Scares the CXXP out of me.

Your P/M is talking to you....it's saying, "Fix me".

Look into it before you get that hard pedal coming to a stoplight and run into the back of another car. :eek:

Back