You can type here any text you want

Brake problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo_nthuzist

Hello to all,

This is my first TT, so I'm new to this powermaster system. :confused: So I need some advice. When I step on the brake pedal hard, my brake light comes on for about a second or two then it shuts off. If I step on it lightly, the light does not come on. I also get a whining noise. Doesn't matter if I press the pedal hard or soft. I've read some of the old threads and it seems that the accumulator ball is my suspect. If any one has any other ideas what the problem could be, please share. Also when I checked the reservoir half of it was full and the other half was almost empty. I know that this sounds stupid but is this normal? :confused:

Thanks,
Nick.

Firstly, I am not an expert on this system. Matter of fact, mine gave me problems and is no longer on my car. I converted to vacuum, I'm thrilled with the brakes now and never looking back at that POS Powermaster.

Do you have a problem other than you see the dash light? It could be that your fluid level is low. It could be a about a dozen other things too. Nothing is cheap any more on these units, so if the fluid is low, add some first and bleed the system if necessary. Check your calipers for leakage also.

Because the entire brake system is self contained, the whining is the motor/pump rebuilding pressure each time you use the brake. If the brakes are used and you hear the pump running several seconds then shutting off, this is normal. If it constantly cycles on/off and you're not using any brake, this is abnormal. If it never shuts off, this is abnormal. If it never runs, this is also abnormal.

These units are getting incredibly expensive to maintain. Someone said an outside source was going to be making the accumulators, but until that materializes best to hope you don't need a couple. I went through two balls in 15K miles/7 years. Seven years ago I paid $50 for a brand new ball. Now they are about 5 times that price.

The last straw for my PM was recently when the pump ran continuously whenever the key was on.

I'd say its the accumulator ball. Same thing happened to mine. Also, DON'T overfill the resevoir. The side furthest from the the ball always looks low..but it is supposed to be that way(this is the side that pumps into the ball...and when you depressurize, its goes back into the res on this side). going from memory, I'd say to fill the side closest to the driver's side fender about 1/2 its capacity and the side furthest from the driver's side fender fill up about 1/4 to 1/3 its capacity. The levels should normally be uneven. Before changing the ball, depressurize the system by pumping the brake pedal with the car off about 10-20 times. Now you can remove the old ball without making a mess. Put the new one on(if you can find one!), start the car and then check/adjust the fluid levels. The balls are very hard to find now. Dealer's dont stock them anymore, and most people are holding onto theirs. There are a few on EBAY for a small fortune....going for about $250. In a recent Kirban's newsletter, they said that they will be selling them for about $130. It might be in a few months though. I bought a reman powermaster unit from Advance auto, swapped balls, and returned. The new ball solved my problem...and was cheap! :) I know...I will burn in hell for this!

So my pump is acting correctly. I just got to get my hands on a new accumulator ball. You don't have to tell me about the price for one I've been checking around. But there is an Advance auto by me...LOL

Thanks for the advice, Terry and Andy. This helped out ALOT!!!

Thanks again,
Nick

Back