You can type here any text you want

Brake Problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ONLYAV6

I have 87 turbo regal the other night when I was driving the car the brake light came on, and then the pedal went hard, a couple of times the brakes pedal came back but as of now hard brake pedal can barley stop.

I am trying to find out about this braking system. I want to fix it myself does anyone have any idea what this could be, the accumulator or just replace the whole master I found both on kirbans site.

Thanks Patrick

Sounds More Like The Master I Had The Same Thing Happen
A Couple Years Ago Bought A Brand New Powermaster From
Ac Delco. But Check To Make Sure The Fuse To The
Power Master Is Not Blown. Have Some One Hit The Brakes
You Should Feel The Motor Come On Uder The Master If It Does
Not After A Few Seconds Check The Fuses For The Power
Master If The Fuse Is Good And The Master Cylinder Motor
Does Not Work Bad Master. If The Motor Works And You Have Replaced The Accumulator The Master Is Bad. Be Careul If You
Service The Accumulator Though Theres About 1200 Psi
Behind The Accumulator Be Sure With The Veh Off Depress The
Brake Pedal About 10 To 15 Times To Relieve The Pressure.
Good Luck.

Scott

I had identical symptoms. Sometimes it worked and other times nothing. Turned out to be a bad relay on the motor. It was particularly hard to find because power to the motor was intermittent. I was frustrated to the point of contemplating vacuum brake conversion. I found out by tapping on the side of the motor one day with a screwdriver handle and it would come on. I replaced it with a NEW ( not rebuilt ) motor from Hank Terry. It works perfect now.
GM PowerMaster Sales
Price: $160.00 which includes shipping to anywhere in the continental US.

I am not saying that is what your problem is, but don't count it out. If you can diagnose the problem, it's cheaper than buying a complete unit. Go through the tests as suggested first. Do a search. Plenty of us have had the same grief.

Yes, yes. Run the diagnostic procedures before throwing parts at it.

Your symptoms sound like the typical accumulator failure, but you need to time it first to be sure you don't have an internal leak.

See here: Brake System

Tell us what your times are for pump up and self cycle and we can tell you more.

Z

Back