You can type here any text you want

Brake problems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cuda6pak

I looked through the Powermaster tech troubleshooting page but didn't find my exact problem.

I've had my Buick for a few months now and have never had brake problems until a few weeks back. I noticed that it was leaking a bit somewhere on the brake cylinder so I decided to open the top and peak inside to see the fluid level. Now I just peaked in there and it looked good so I put the top back on. Next time I drove it a few stops away from my apartment I started losing power in my brakes. I would push on the brake but it was like it hit a "block" halfway down so it was just barely braking and I couldn't press further. I kept pressure on it and it eventually started going back down. I did this a few more times to "pump" it up hopefully. After that it was fine for the rest of the drive.

It's always like that now. I have to "pump" the brakes a few times to make sure it has good stopping power before I take off in it. It still has that "block" on it to where if I keep pressure on it it will eventually give way and go further down. I have to keep doing this before I take off. But once I leave the car never has braking issues after that, until I shut it off and let it sit a few days. The car usually sits for days at a time. I've always pulled the tops off other master cylinders and never had a problem, I guess these powermasters are little bit different.

So I know pulling the top off the master cylinder had to cause this because it was fine before? What can I do?

Yep, the P/M's are another animal. There is a lot to them, but once you understand them they are easy.

From your description, it sounds like you have the symptoms of an accumulator ball dying a slow horrible death. They seem to be a common replacement part and easy to replace.

I highly recommend you stop driving your GN until you diagnose and repair you problem. Your P/M is telling you it needs attention, NOW. If you keep driving it, you will loose all braking power and end up with a custom hood ornament. Like a light pole or a Mustang.

Run some diagnostics. Here is a good start: Brake System

Keep that fluid in good shape!
HTH

Thanks zeus, after reading that a new accumulator ball is about $60-$70, and that converting to vacuum booster brakes is only a tad more. I think I may go that route :D

I bought a GN 5 months ago and the first thing that went was my powermaster . Follow the advice you have been given do not drive your car until you find out what the problem is . Mine went and I had to drive all the way home with no brakes .
I switched to a vacuum system and I am not looking back . I bought mine from RED regal and had problems . He helped me out and helped me fix the problems I had . His advice and instructions are worth the kit price alone . he stood behind what he is selling . Buy the TTA block its 30 bucks but worth it ,.
I wanted to keep my car original but one ride with a powermaster failure was enough for me .

Thanks zeus, after reading that a new accumulator ball is about $60-$70, and that converting to vacuum booster brakes is only a tad more. I think I may go that route :D

If you can get ahold of a new acc ball for $70, you better grab it! I haven't seen them cheaper than about $175 these days. Prices are climbing on P/M parts, but the unit as a whole works too good to me. They have to be properly maintained to last.

Post up if you need more help. Good luck!

UPDATE:

Well apparently I fixed the brakes today. I depressurized the system and then took the cap off the MC. It looks like I had the rubber piece on backwards and even then some of it was pressed down and not making a tight seal.

I fixed that and then went for a 45 min drive and they are performing just as good as they were before. Chalk that one up to a first time GN owner :o

I still plan on switching to vacuum brakes, however it's not as urgent now.

Cuda,

Good that you solved your problem, whatever it was.
Even so, keep a close eye on that P/M.
It is talking to you.

Zeus

You and I have a few things in common .We are both learning this car and had early brake problems . I just want to give you some advice . I thought I was confident I had my brake problem fixed as well .All of a sudden my brake pedal went to the floor . I was lucky I was waiting in the DMV line when it happened .The ride home was scary . Dont get to comfortable until you are sure the problem is gone .
I am not here to sell anyone of vacuum, rebuild your powermaster . . All I can say is that it took one failure for me to take that thing out of my car. You have already got the warning signs .
I agree with Zues87gn . Your powermaster is talking to you . Listen up

Back