Bruce, my 700R4 shifts from 1st. to 2nd. at 5500 @ WOT
But, it shifts from 2nd. to 3rd. at 4600 @ WOT
What's going on? Shouldn't those shifts be
the same?
:confused:

"John In Florida":cool:

If it were a 2004r I could tell ya!!! J/k:D

1st
I would tend to look to see if this just occurred in a trans with some miles or has been since a rebuild/shift kit install or some other "adjustment".

2nd
I would take a pressure reading and see what is actually going on. Is it the 1-2 shift thats the actual problem or the 2-3 shift that is causing it? See this is what needs to be determined first , BEFORE you can have some sort of attack plan. Let me know the answer to #1 , then we can proceed.....:)

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

Thank you Bruce for getting back to me so quickly! The trans I have in use right now is a performance rebuild out of a place just outside of Shreveport, Louisiana. Does the name "Raptor" ring any bells? I've had it since July of this year. If you type in 700R4 in the address box of your browser, it'll take you right to it. It's the second website at the top of the list. Anyway, it's suppose to have all the good internal goodies.
Actually, I don't know if the 1-2 shift or the 2-3 shift is the problem. I'm saying that because I don't know if the 1-2 shift is too high or the 2-3 shift is too low?? Like I said, the 1-2 shift is exactly where I want it to shift @WOT, (5500 rpms).
I do have a set of transmission gauges. Guess I'll have to check out the pressure readings and report back to you.
Thank you again Bruce ................ John:rolleyes:

If 5500 is right for you on the 1-2 ,I PRESUME you want the 2-3 there also? Then we go to work on the 2-3 shift valve train. Ask them what they did? did they alter the 2-3 shift valve size and/or spring? See what pressure is and at what point valve opens and we will go from there. ...And just out of curiousity....Why you asking me? You should be asking them......:)
Are they aware you are having trouble?

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

Why you asking me? You should be asking them......

Cause he know`s you da man. Bruce.

Jim

Bruce, Jim's correct concerning your asking me why I don't ask the people that built up my transmission. I did and I have for the last two months! I heard nothing but good things about you on www.MonteCarloSS.com....... I heard you were "guru" of the 200R4 AND the 700R4. I was just assuming that troubleshooting my transmission (700R4) would be quite similar in the operational design and shifting operation as the 200R4. I have schematics of both transmissions and they appear to me to be quite similar in operation. I'm just an old jet engine mechanic, so I do hope you can understand my reasoning for turning to you for expert advice.
Back to my tranny. I suggested to the people that built up my trans that it was probably in the valve body, so they sent me another one of their "modified" valve bodies. Give or take a couple hundred rpms, the trans basically still had a low 2-3 shift problem at WOT. I suggested stretching the 2-3 shift valve spring and the guy said that, that was a good idea and he didn't know why he hadn't thought of that himself. Well, I stretched it to just a littke shy of an 1/8" longer and it brought up the 2-3 shift @ WOT to 5100 rpms. For some reason, the 1-2 shift @ WOT also rose to 5600 rpms. The trade-off to stretching the 2-3 shift valve spring was it now has a higher 2-3 shift point at a light to moderate throttle. It now hangs in second just a little too long for my liking. I can see what the final results would be if I was to do just a little more spring stretching.
Obviously the "gurus" at the place where I obtained my "neck-snapping, super-dupper, high-performance transmission "ain't" that good at troubleshooting the transmission that they specialize in. THAT IS WHY I TURNED TO YOU, BRUCE!
"Big John in Florida" :cool:

LOLOLOLOLLLLLL...

Sheesh... I just asked.....(blushing)

Anyhow I am by no means a guru with the 700r4
I have played with but the limiting capabilities turned me to play and "guru" as you say , with the 2004r.
They are very different in operation but, similaiar in a few ways. As for your problem ok the trade off was "hanging" too much for your liking. So lets try this lets move "down " the 1-2 then use the govenor to tune in the rest. what we need is the shift points to equalize. I am quite puzzled by your actual problem tho. two different VB's and same result make you really wonder. Have you tried another govenor just to see if it does or makes any change? how about tv oil? Hrmmm I will think and hit this again in a little bit. Lemme think... ..................
Oh what was line pressure and did it do anything funny?

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

Bruce, thought you'd like to know a little history on my present 700R4. Please don't ever ask me about the B&M that I "used" to have!
Okay, the firt time I checked my WOT shift points on my present transmission......

1st. to 2nd. was 5500@WOT
2nd. to 3rd. was 4700@WOT

Then I swapped governors from my old B&M transmission
that I don't want you to mention! Okay?

1st. to 2nd. was 5400@WOT
2nd. to 3rd. was 4600@WOT

Then the "gurus" that built up my Super-Duper, Neck-
Snapping, High Performance transmission "gave" me
another one of their "modified" valve bodies.........

1st. to 2nd. was 5200@WOT
2nd. to 3rd. was 4600@WOT

Please stop laughing, Bruce! At the present time, I waiting
for them to find me a valve body and governor out of a late
80's Camaro IROC (350 cu. in. eng. like mine). I have a 3.73
and the Camaro has a 3.42 and both cars weigh about the
same. Trying to find a 700R4 that's the most compatible for
my car. Are you STILL laughing????? Gotta Go!:D ;) :D

Not laughing....thinking............How fast of car? What body exactly? We are missing something. What was PRESSURE doing during all of this?

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

Also....Try to get an s-10 2.8 v6 vb and gov. Try that . if you like I may have one we can try and see if it solves your problem. I was thinking about this and I need to know what year and julian date the unit is . At that point we can try anyway. Looks like it can't hurt and your getting good at it. :D Now I am laughing...but willing to try..

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

How fast a car? Real fast! Ha! Ha! Ha! Actually, I can't give you any times or speeds. Wait, don't hang up !!! All I can tell you is what I have "conquered", so far. LOL! 2 Impala SS's, 1 '81 Monte Carlo w/ tweaked 400 eng; 3 Mustang GT's, 2 fairly new Camaro SS's, 1 damn little Honda Civic w/turbo stayed right with me and 1 brand new 2002 Ford Lightening that I "just did beat" Whew!
That was a close one!!!! And, more 5.0 Mustangs than I could begin to count. "No Brag, Just Fact" Ha! Ha! Ha!

My car is a black '88 Monte Carlo SS, with the ZZ4 Crate Engine w/ Fast Burn heads, LT4 "Hot Cam" (Ha!) Crower stainless roller rockerarns (1.6 ratio). Crane 4130 chromemoly pushrods. Edelbrock Performer intake w/ Carter AFB 750 cfms; Complete MSD ignition, Edelbrock TES headers w/ HPC ceramic coated, stainless steel 2 1/2' exhaust from the cat back made for Grand Nationals with DynaMax mufflers. Rear is from a '87 Grand National w/ 3.73 gears bolted onto an Auburn Limited-Slip. I started out with a "brand new" B&M Corvette 700R4. Had nothing but "bad luck" with it from day one! First time I took out my "new" engine and trans, it wouldn't shift out of first. Never! And I had the TV cable "right on". God, I can't count the number of governors I played with, trying all kinds of combinations of secondary weights and springs. You name it and I tried it! And I believe I tried 4 or 5 different valve bodies. Finally bought myself a test gauge set from the MAC man because a rep at Trans-Go suggested it. Took "all" the necessary readings, called the rep back, told him the readings and he told me to change the pump. So, that what I did, and that's what the culpit was. The B&M still gave me a lot of other problems so I said "To Hell With This" and bought the trans that HAVE now!
I won't be able to give you any pressure readings for a week or two. Okay?
Hey Bruce, if you have a valve body lying around that you think might cure my problem, send it..........Please!! :)

"John In Florida"

Bruce, what I meant to say concerning the first time I took my new eng & trans out and it wouldn't shift out of first, I forgot to tell you that was at WOT only........sorry.............John

John,

You may want to consider purchasing a governor modification kit so that you can 'tune' your governor to your liking. Here are the instructions to TCI's kit FYI.

Hey Greg, I want to thank you for your suggestion pertaining to trying one of those Governor Modification Kits. Shows you're thinking and wanting to help me, but that was one of the first things I tried. Only difference is I got my kit from B&M. Again, thank you Greg.................. :cool: ......"John In Florida"