You can type here any text you want

Buying car engine question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Ok I am looking at a GN that was rebuilt about 3,000 ago. How would I know if the engine build was done properly? What should I look for? etc?
I am trying to get a receipt of the engine build up.

Any help would be greatful

if you can, find out who did the machine work, and block assembly (parts used, etc.). I just bought a low mile used built 109 block and called the builder who was more than helpful with providing a list of all parts used, cam specs, build sheet, etc.

Ok I am looking at a GN that was rebuilt about 3,000 ago. How would I know if the engine build was done properly? What should I look for? etc?
I am trying to get a receipt of the engine build up.

Any help would be greatful

How is it running now?
How hard do you plan to push it?

If you can't see and feel it run, then be prepared to go through it and check it out for yourself. I bought a used engine that only had break-in time run on it and I almost just installed it. I decided to bite the bullet and go through it. I found metal chunks inside, 2 pistons hung backwards on the rods, incorrect head studs that were too long so the nuts were torqued down on the end of the stud threads, and totaly wrong preload across the board. Glad I tore it down.

It was built by what looks to be a chain mechanic. I was looking at the build sheet and the valve guides where knurled. Should I be worried about that?

I havent gotten a chance to see this car in person yet, I plan on driving to see it in a week or two.

I am looking at two GNs right now. The other one appears to be completely stock with nothing at all done to it and about 69k miles. But the one that is rebuilt is a few grand cheaper.

Back