You can type here any text you want

C.B. radio experts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
I am dealing with an issue. I have a C.B. radio in my truck and I am getting some mad static in the radio. I am pretty sure it's in the antenna because there's a buzzing static noise that changes with the rpms of my truck's engine. It doesn't do it when the truck is not running.

Then while in a parking lot, engine off and radio on some guy pulls up next to me to park, the buzzing came into the radio and stopped as soon as the guy shut off his engine. Then when he hit his door locks (electrical) that too came thru the antenna, so i am 99% sure it's coming thru the antenna.

My set up consists of a Uniden PC 66 hard wired directly to the battery (both ground and hot), a Wilson Lil Wil magnet mount antenna and a Rat Shack SWR meter. I have the antenna on top of the truck with the wire ran thru the back window under the seat and up to the radio. It's not near any other wires. My SWR is 1.5:1. The only way to keep the static down is to turn the squelch at about the half mark and keep the RF knob at 3/4.

Would some sort of inline noise filter for the antenna wire be of any benefit? Or do I need to ground the mag mount antenna? What else can I do to eliminate the noise?

Thanks!

ground it to the chassis, Maybe electric fuel pump causing it? Maybe installing isolators around the wires at the top of the fuel tank?

Try a filter on the the power wire to your CB. I picked one up at Radio Shack years ago. The antenna/tuner circut is set up to filter out all the unwanted junk, the power circut is not.

all the above and....ohm out the center conductor of the ant lead and make sure the ant is not shorted to the sheild/ground....

ground it to the chassis, Maybe electric fuel pump causing it? Maybe installing isolators around the wires at the top of the fuel tank?

Tried running a ground wire touching the chassis to a known ground. The noise didn't go away.

Try a filter on the the power wire to your CB. I picked one up at Radio Shack years ago. The antenna/tuner circut is set up to filter out all the unwanted junk, the power circut is not.

I actually bought one of these and installed it thinking it would fix the problem. It didn't.

all the above and....ohm out the center conductor of the ant lead and make sure the ant is not shorted to the sheild/ground....

I did an ohms check on the center prong and the outter screw on part if that's what you meant. No continuity.

Back