Calling Freddie's Buick

Ttype83

USAF Retired
Freddie,
What happened to your web pages ????? I just tried to look up the TPS testing and it gave me a fordinn.

OK so how do you test the TPS again?
And I think that you said that the volts were .73 for me right?
Thanks
Jim

Sorry Jim,

I changed from an ISP to DSL. Once I did this I lost all my uploaded images. I still have the images, but I have'nt had time to upload them to my new ftp site.

My '83 turbo carb is factory preset at 1.20 hot idle...... 1.45 cold.
Hope this helps...:cool:

Freddie,
I need to test with a volt meter, which wire do I prob with the red and which with the black????
I have looked in Doug's book but can not find it.
I have want volts it is suppose to be. You sent it to me awhile ago.
Thanks
Jim

*Use a digital voltmeter to be on the safe side and get an accurate reading.......of the three wires it's the bottom wire and center wire.

It does'nt matter if one reverses the DOV's probes on either terminal, (+ or -). If one does, one will just get a negative reading but it is still a good reading....... :)

Originally posted by Freddie's Buick
*Use a digital voltmeter to be on the safe side
It does'nt matter if one reverses the DOV's probes on either terminal, (+ or -). If one does, one will just get a negative reading but it is still a good reading....... :)
I picked one up :)
I had printed out most of the threads were you had talked about this, except for the one with the test and my volts. But I did write down my volt settings :)
Did your TPS have a spring under it that it sat on? On my old carb there was no spring. I have not opened the newer one yet to check.
Drilling out the plug on the TPS is a pain...I've broken 2 small bits already. I think I will have to get a small hand drill and try that.
Or I have been thinking of using the air horn off the newer carb because it's not plugged.
I tried going to the parts store to pick up the hex socket, but all they want to show me was the allen wrenchs. I tried for 15 minutes that it was not a allen wrench. I even had my air horn in my hand to show him and this was the manager. :rolleyes:
I'll just order the one from carbs unlimited
Thanks again
Jim

I used a Dremel tool and carefully cut material around the air horn base surrounding the screw until the tip of the Hex screw showed. I then cut a slit on the Hex screw and now all I use is a small screw-driver to adjust the TPS.

*The TPS must sit on the small spring it is for tention.

In order to adjust the TPS off of the car, youl'll have to hook some type of wire line from the top of the TPS male jack on the wire harness to the top of the female jack on the carb and turn the ignition to the on position to get a reading.

The top prong on the male jack is what sends voltage to the TPS. Without voltage, you won't get a reading.

My digital voltmeter I got at Radio Shack. It has a big digital readout screen and is extremely simple to use.

Originally posted by Ttype83

I tried going to the parts store to pick up the hex socket, but all they want to show me was the allen wrenchs. I tried for 15 minutes that it was not a allen wrench. I even had my air horn in my hand to show him and this was the manager. :rolleyes:
I'll just order the one from carbs unlimited
Thanks again
Jim

That sounds like my boss you were dealing with.:D

Originally posted by pat83t

That sounds like my boss you were dealing with.:D
LOL....I know it's hard to find good managers, but...Man they should atleast have a clue about autos.

I found that my setting on the TPS was .66 volts.
I can not find the volts that Freddie give to me before, it's some where in this mess....
So I used your preset @ 1.20 volts
I will test it out tonight on the way to work @ 2am

Originally posted by Freddie's Buick
I then cut a slit on the Hex screw and now all I use is a small screw-driver to adjust the TPS.
I found a very CHEAP tool for adjusting the TPS.
I used a plastic piece from my bike pump, it comes with a piece to blow-up small inflatables. I used a small hammer and tapped it into the TPS hole to see how much I needed to trim off. Once the outside was trimmed to fix into the hole, I tapped it on to the hex screw.
Know I can adjust it with no problems.
Any small tube that will rap around the hex screw and not slip will work.