You can type here any text you want

Cam Recommendation for 9 second et's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Garycar

Looking for hydraulic roller cam recommendations to support a 274" stage 1, GTQ76 John Craig turbo, M&A ported heads, 3500 N stall Art Car nonlock-up converter,200 4R, 72# injectors but will probably move up to 83's, 3.42 gears. The car is driven on the street frequently. Accel DFI. Current cam is a Comp cam flat tappet, 218/212. Would like to run mid nines at about 140-143 mph. If anyone has had the opportunity to compare cams and has seen reasonable performance gains I would appreciate that kind of information. Thanks

Garycar said:
Looking for hydraulic roller cam recommendations to support a 274" stage 1, GTQ76 John Craig turbo, M&A ported heads, 3500 N stall Art Car nonlock-up converter,200 4R, 72# injectors but will probably move up to 83's, 3.42 gears. The car is driven on the street frequently. Accel DFI. Current cam is a Comp cam flat tappet, 218/212. Would like to run mid nines at about 140-143 mph. If anyone has had the opportunity to compare cams and has seen reasonable performance gains I would appreciate that kind of information. Thanks

I would suggest a custom grind for your application for maximum performance. Have you had your heads flowed to help determine where the lift should be?

Something in the 236 to 24X range.
A custom cam from one of the vendors will do the trick.
You may want to skip the 83s and do 96s.

I ran a REED 226 Hydraulic last year in the mid 9s at 146+ in a 3600# car.

I am away right now but can email you a copy of the cam card when i get home if you would like

KLHAMMETT said:
I ran a REED 226 Hydraulic last year in the mid 9s at 146+ in a 3600# car.

I am away right now but can email you a copy of the cam card when i get home if you would like

Pay some attention to your wife!!! :wink:
Have a good weekend bro!

Thanks so much for the responses. I really appreciate the feedback. The Reed 226 sounds interesting. Could you send me the spec card? Bill, I haven't had the old M&A heads flowed so I'm blind in that area. I don't want a cam that requires serious RPM above 6500 although I would would consider it if necessary. I love driving my Buick on the street so some compromises might be necessary. Are the 96# injectors a better option than 83's? Are they ok for the street and do I really need them?

Garycar said:
Thanks so much for the responses. I really appreciate the feedback. The Reed 226 sounds interesting. Could you send me the spec card? Bill, I haven't had the old M&A heads flowed so I'm blind in that area. I don't want a cam that requires serious RPM above 6500 although I would would consider it if necessary. I love driving my Buick on the street so some compromises might be necessary. Are the 96# injectors a better option than 83's? Are they ok for the street and do I really need them?

Please take into consideration that a 272ci is 16% larger than the 231ci motor. Your 226* cam will act like a smaller 218 cam. What you would need is something that will act like a 224*ish cam but in your larger motor.
I would consider something in the 234-238* range with 600ish lift and on a 115* cl. Of course this would also depend on the head work. I can tell you that my max ported M&As made more power than a set of the Ported Champions. That is something else to consider.

Garycar said:

I would use a Comp Cam, we have been very happy with our custom grinds. On a street car when you start getting near 230 dur at .050, your idle will get a little rough, it wouldnt bother me but just something to think about. A hydraulic cam for the most part is done at 6500 anyway, you cant run enough spring on them to keep the valves from floating especially with alot of boost above that. I would use a 230 at .050 with a .600 lift on a 112. That would definately get the job done :biggrin:
83# injectors will be fine for your goal.

EightSecV6 said:
I would use a Comp Cam, we have been very happy with our custom grinds. On a street car when you start getting near 230 dur at .050, your idle will get a little rough, it wouldnt bother me but just something to think about. A hydraulic cam for the most part is done at 6500 anyway, you cant run enough spring on them to keep the valves from floating especially with alot of boost above that. I would use a 230 at .050 with a .600 lift on a 112. That would definately get the job done :biggrin:
83# injectors will be fine for your goal.

I feel good, an expert had a similar opinion.
Some people don't like big cams, I have always gone a little big and
have never regreted it. I told him to go with bigger injectors because people always end up wanting to go faster. That is why I put 60s on my stock car, why buy something that I know (because of experiance) that I will end up upgrading and losing money on?

Bill,

Pictures of TTA before Christmas please!

John Wilde said:
Bill,

Pictures of TTA before Christmas please!

Things are staring to move along FINALLY! In the meantime, I nearly have all the parts together for the SB2.2 headed 406 :biggrin:

EightSecV6 said:
Things are staring to move along FINALLY! In the meantime, I nearly have all the parts together for the SB2.2 headed 406 :biggrin:
Damn,Now were talking making power!! :)
Them heads flow like mad

Don't go to big!

Louie L has gone 9.2 with a 224-224 Hyd roller and a BIG turbo :) My 276" motor went 9.7 at140 with the same 224-224 and a LT70-4 bolt. I don't think Gary would be happy with the 236-236 I later installed in that motor. I think he needs to find out his spring heigth and go from there.
KLHAMMETT laid down some good numbers with the REED 226.
Are we back on track with this thread :confused: sorry guys :(

9sec.

9SECVSIX said:
Louie L has gone 9.2 with a 224-224 Hyd roller and a BIG turbo :) My 276" motor went 9.7 at140 with the same 224-224 and a LT70-4 bolt. I don't think Gary would be happy with the 236-236 I later installed in that motor. I think he needs to find out his spring heigth and go from there.
KLHAMMETT laid down some good numbers with the REED 226.
Are we back on track with this thread :confused: sorry guys :(

9sec.

BIG turbo? Its just a 76mm turbo..LOL

Also throwing a thought out there..but what is the intended use of the car? Is this a weekend sunny day toy? Street- strip? strip only? This should all be taken into account.

Louie L. said:
BIG turbo? Its just a 76mm turbo..LOL

Also throwing a thought out there..but what is the intended use of the car? Is this a weekend sunny day toy? Street- strip? strip only? This should all be taken into account.

Size envy perhaps???
Good to have you back Louie.

PS: I have run 218*, 224* roller and non, 230* roller and 234* roller in a 231ci 109s. The 224 roller was my favorite profile.
The 224* Roller with a GOOD set of M&A was a monster on the street.
My car would fry my 28X10.5 slicks on a 65MPH roll on the freeway!
I changed cams again to a 23X and sold it to my friend.
He went 135MPH at over 3800Lbs, this was uncorrected at high altitude.

"There are many ways to skin a cat, so you don't have to copy one."

Back