You can type here any text you want

Can I EQ an AUX input?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

INEEDAGN

Seen Your Member
Just replaced the Pioneer head unit in my daily driver with a new Alpine. The Alpine KILLS the Pioneer in terms of actual power made (no more clipping woo hoo!), but it lacks in the EQ department. The only thing I use this thing for is satellite radio through an AUX input adapter, and I'm only using the internal amp, powering some cheap door speakers. Can I add an EQ in line between the RCA outputs of the XM box and the AUX input, and equalize it before it even gets to the head unit? If so, does anyone have a cheap used EQ laying around? Any help is appreciated.

bob

Yes, you can do that .... I don't have one laying around though...

Are the voltages/impedances similar to normal rca outputs? By that i mean, can I get an EQ with a line driver built in and boost voltage to the HU or will I toast it? I found a couple audiocontrol four.1 EQ's on ebay, I may bid on one. Thank you for your time.

bob

the out put depends on the unit - I personally wouldn't run a HIGH out put into it....keep it around 2 volts or less to be safe.

The Audio Control units have an adjustable output, they should work fine.

Adjust the eq thru the head unit.If its a newer Alpine,it should have an eq built in.

IMO you dont need a eq till youre building a very expensive sound system and want the best sound quality(read $$$)Ive never had one in any system ive owned.

Those cheap eq's do nothing for ya anyway.

I should note that I have the bottom of the line alpine model, with only bass,treble, and loudness controls. My old Pioneer had the EEQ built in with low/mid/high parametric EQ including variable Q factor, PLUS bass,treble, loudness, and adjustable high pass filter. I liked that a lot better, but the internal amp would clip badly at high volumes :D . I really only need about a five band EQ to cut some of the midrange shrillness out of these cheap door speakers.

My REAL car has a REAL system, this is just for a beater, that I am becoming increasingly picky about.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

bob

Back