You can type here any text you want

car won't roll backwards in neutral

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RA3Goat

I just finished installing my 200-4R after a rebuild by a local shop. I put the car on the ground and it will not roll in reverse, only foward. I have not run the motor since installing the trans, but I don't see why I should have to get fluid pumping to roll the car. I removed the driveshaft and the car rolls fine. With the car off the ground, I rotate one rear wheel and the other spins the same direction. I could not rotate either wheel in reverse with the driveshaft connected and the trans in neutral. I believe the posi is operating correctly. The car has been sitting a few weeks during the trans rebuild. Should the wheels rotate in opposite directions if the trans is in park? What in the trans would stop it from rolling backwards? I don't want to risk causing any more problems by starting the engine and running it through the gears. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Other than park...

It should roll. Is the shifter adjusted properly? That is the only thing that came to mind. If the band was too tight, it wouldn't turn in one direction but sitting here I can't remember which way. I would need to be at work. well, let me change that statement. If the band is too tight , it will not turn clockwise. That I know. So with that in mind, which way does the driveshaft turn going forward? Sitting here I do not remember. But now you have a starting point. Other than band too tight, or in park by misalignment, I can't think of why. Maybe someone else has an idea, but that is all I can think of.
One other late thought is the forward clutch is locked on by being too tight. It would roll forward but not back. But man... it would have to be almost applied at that rate to hold that tight. Also when you do start it , it would try to go forward in park and probobly kill motor.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

I'm goin with the band, as the drive shaft turns CCW in forward. That is when you are facing the rear of the trans.

Thanks for the ideas. The trans has a billet servo and wide band, but this wasn't a problem before the rebuild. I have the CK Performance manual which assumes your using the band apply pin extension, which should be ground down 0.060" past the point of just being able to install the servo retaining ring. So if I understand, my problem may be that the apply pin is too long and basically applying the 2nd gear band at all times. I would have assumed using the original parts in the rebuild, it would have been set the same. I guess I will need to remove the servo and investigate, to see if it can be adjusted. I want to at least be able to turn the output shaft, but I don't want the band to drag either, right? Thanks again.

in forward ranges the driveshaft always turns the same way the bolt tightens on the crank pulley.easy way to remember.if the band is stuck on the shaft should lock counter clockwise opposite the direction the bolt tightens on the crank pulley.if the band was stuck on the car should still roll if power was being applied to input shaft but wait........................if the engine is not running power is being applied thru the driveshaft into the transmision so it could be possible.id have to do a test to know for sure.guess thats why removing the driveshaft works. :)

Just a thought, but what about the sprag clutch in the rear or the tranny. I think that is what it is called. If one of the rollers is not set correctly in the cage, wouldent it have the same effect. Like I said I am not a wiz. Just a thought.

update

trans shop towed car back to shop. they said they could not find anything wrong, but perhaps the endplay of the output shaft was to tight. they claim they were able to turn output shaft but it required some force... so they pulled trans apart and fixed that. now the problem is that it holds first too long at part throttle, but that's a different thread. I can tell this trans is gonna have more problems... thanks again all.

Back