You can type here any text you want

Ceramic coating headers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

EVIL

BANNED FOREVER
I have a set of Arizona turbo headers at a powder coating place to be ceramic coated. The gentleman there says that they are supposed to spray everything inside and out. Even where the gaskets go. Is this correct? Has anyone else ceramic coated their headers?

i need some input

thanks
D

That is fine, it will not hurt anything. They usually only spray in the tube as far as possible. It is almost impossible to properly prep the inside.

I have had many sets done over the years. Typically it's dipped in the coating so it will be covered all over inside and out if it's done right. You never never want to powder coat them. Powder coating typically melts around 450. So that would lead to a mess on our cars!

4306562504_793fa642b5_o.jpg

thanks for the quick response guys. So coating the surface where the gaskets go is fine.

he will be spraying and not dipping. that sounds funny! He does good work though.

thank you
D

You may want to request that the O2 sensor threads be masked. I think the O2 sensor grounds thru the header; not to mention that you don't want the threads boogered up with ceramic coat to the point where you can't screw the sensor in.

thanks for the quick response guys. So coating the surface where the gaskets go is fine.

he will be spraying and not dipping. that sounds funny! He does good work though.

thank you
D

Should be fine. I run header gaskets only because for these cars sometimes it's better off. Hard to get 2 surfaces perfect so slap some FelPro's on it and never look back!

You may want to request that the O2 sensor threads be masked. I think the O2 sensor grounds thru the header; not to mention that you don't want the threads buggered up with ceramic coat to the point where you can't screw the sensor in.

"should" be ok here. Generally (or at least the stuff my guy uses) ceramic coating is soft. It's not hard like powder coat is. So if you run the 02 in and out a few times it should scuff enough to keep the ground world happy. So far so good with mine at least! :)

My guy stated that the coating is mostly absorbed into the metal and shouldn't add much to the diameter. when it's done i'll post some pics of the job done.

thanks again

D

Ceramic is a thin film coating. Some of the ceramics can be polished to a near chrome like look, like Phillys. I have mine done that way also. They can be water based or solvent based and depending on the type or manufacture.
If you get them with the shinny (chrome) look keep them clean. If you get a stain you can polish it out most of the time. 000 steel wool or never dull.

Philly how are yours holding up?????

WOW! It's funny you should ask today. I was called this morning and told they were done. I went by and paid for them but i didn't take them with me since it was raining really hard here in MA and i didn't feel like lugging Turbo Buick and Harley headers in the downpour. I will get them on Monday and take some pics and put them up. They looked really good.

D

I'm interested...
who makes a ceramic powder for hedders?
(or did I miss something?)

If you would, let me know please,
Gary

Here are the headers after ceramic coating. We'll see how it lasts after the car is put together in a couple of months. I threw in a pic of my Harley headers since they were done at the same time.

Attachments

• IMG00363.jpg
    IMG00363.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG00364.jpg
    IMG00364.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG00365.jpg
    IMG00365.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG00366.jpg
    IMG00366.jpg