You can type here any text you want

Champion Intake

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jeff Rand

I just installed a new aluminum Champion intake on my TA block (standard deck height) with TA heads. I am using 1200 gaskets and I am getting water in the oil (the old intake did not have this problem). On my second attempt I used black silcone around the water passages and still had water getting in the oil (with a light coating of silcone it seemed to have less water in the oil but I only ran the engine for a minute). I have checked for any pinholes in the casting but it seems to be OK. On the first install (only gasket cinch was used on the head side of the intake gasket) I checked the gasket after removal and did see an impression on the blue sealant around the water passages.Tonight I will try to bolt the intake to one of the heads (no gasket will be used) and take some feeler gauge measurements on the other side. This damm thing is driving me nuts as well as the local Autozone taking back the used oil!
Jeff

BUICKTR said:
The intake might slightly need to be milled.
I am going to look into getting it checked out this week. I am also going to pressure check the water passage to see if it might have a pin hole leak.
Jeff

Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your luck.
I hope you get it resolved and to the track soon.

John Wilde said:
Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your luck.
I hope you get it resolved and to the track soon.

Thanks John,
It seems nothing comes easy for me.
Jeff

Update; Looks like the intake bolts that Champion provided might be too long.
Jeff

That would be good news, easy fix. Please let us know if that ends up being the case.

Thanks
Chuck

Jeff,

If this is the case, I am glad that it is something simple.
Did you have access to the TA Intake?

wilkinshc said:
TA has an intake?

They purchased the tooling from M&A and they show something in their newest catalogue. You can down load from their web site.
The picture looks like the Champion Intake so I am a little confused. :confused:

John Wilde said:
They purchased the tooling from M&A and they show something in their newest catalogue. You can down load from their web site.
The picture looks like the Champion Intake so I am a little confused. :confused:
I spoke to Mike about their intake when I picked up the block about six months ago. He said that it was not high on the priority list.
Jeff

The champ intake I have seems to be mille a little too much (too narrow). Looks like to me if I had .080 thick gaskets it would be all good. I can only find .065s. I will figure it out.

We have intake gaskets in these thickness, .016, .031, .047, .062, .079, .093, .125. We seem to be out of the .079, having a hard time finding material in this size. Questions, give us a call.

Mike Tomaszewski
TA Performance Products Inc.
480-922-6807

TAPerf said:
We have intake gaskets in these thickness, .016, .031, .047, .062, .079, .093, .125. We seem to be out of the .079, having a hard time finding material in this size. Questions, give us a call.

Mike Tomaszewski
480-922-6807

Mike,
Are your gaskets tall enough to trim so the runner raised say 1/2"

Gaskets holes are slotted, but will not handle 1/2". We will be making a tall port gasket soon.

Mike Tomaszewski
480-922-6807

TAPerf said:
Gaskets holes are slotted, but will not handle 1/2". We will be making a tall port gasket soon.

Mike Tomaszewski
480-922-6807

Mike,

Will you be producing the turbo 6 intake?
Is so may we please have a time line?

Thanks in advance!

I bolted the intake to one head (no gasket) and measured the other side with a feeler gauge. I got .042", so that would give .021" clearance per side. It was uniform across the length of the intake. I think the 1200 gaskets are close to .060".
Jeff

Update - I shaved .100" off the intake bolts and used another set of 1200 gaskets. It is now working fine.
Jeff

Jeff Rand said:
Update - I shaved .100" off the intake bolts and used another set of 1200 gaskets. It is now working fine.
Jeff

Congratulations...time slip please!!! :biggrin:

John Wilde said:
Congratulations...time slip please!!! :biggrin:

If Lonnie can get my trans. back to me in time, I will be at Fontana on Aug. 12th.
Jeff

Back