You can type here any text you want

Chevy Volt PWM fan conversion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MarkJamesGN22

Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I inherited my 87 GN last year from an older friend of mine after he passed from cancer. Car is a clean 87 GN with 28k, body is clean garaged but had a lot of issues I'm sorting out and the radiator was one of them. Stock radiator was completely plugged so for a temporary fix I found the aluminum replacment radiator with the plastic tanks that was drop in. I live in Sacramento so I know when I fix the AC the stock fan and that 1 row radiator won't cut it.

Coming from European cars, I kinda like to over complicate my modifications. I live in a pretty hot area during the summer. I will be using my AC a lot and wanted to make sure It had sufficient cooling. I know the intrepid fans work perfectly fine as an upgrade, but having used PWM fans on other cars I am going to do the same to my GN. Also the variable speed is nice especially because you don't have to hear the high speed Fan constantly when not needed.

Scored and NOS aftermarket aluminum radiator from Facebook market place.

Found a bunch of info on pwm fan conversions from: Brushless Cooling Fan Conversions

Also just ordered PWM fan controller from ebay:

Since it was labor day weekend and pick and pull salvage yard had a 40% off sale I tried to look and some chevy volts that they had. All of them were crashed in the front or fans were missing :( OEM used fans on Ebay run anywhere from $250-$350. Too much for my experiment so I called a local dismantler and he had one for $100. Just picked it up and it is the perfect size.

I store the car at my father's house during the summer because it's cooler there but will have it back here in a month and will update with the progress. If anyone else has done this conversion, please chime in if it doesn't work or any hurdles you may have encountered. Looks pretty easy though. I work on cars for a living and electrical is my specialty so the wiring should be cake.

I have attached a picture of the new aftermarket aluminum radiator and a picture of the Chevy Volt fan on the original GN radiator.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240730_162852_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_162852_Facebook.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240831_115243.jpg
    20240831_115243.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
Back