You can type here any text you want

Cold start knock question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

garyk1970

Electronics Moderator
Staff member
Im working on a 87 gn....tuning,scanmaster install,etc....ive noticed if car sits a couple days, and when i start i hear a bottom end deep knock a couple of revolutions until oil pressure comes up....i changed oil,seen no copper...whats the fate of this engine? I know its hard to diagnose on the computer...tia

Mobile one before oil change ,and a Blue ac delco....oil filter could cause this?

So it knocked with both filters?
Whats the oil psi fully heat soaked in gear idling?

Yep....thats why i changed the oil,added zinc....oil pressure hot in idle 25-30 psi...really good.when i changed oil, i did not fill filter.oil pump primed right away...

Sounds like a rod knock in the making. Have you tried to put a load on it (powerbrake)? It will show itself sooner or later. Try using a thicker weight oil to see if it tames the knock. If you're lucky, it could be the flywheel. I once had a Chevy Tahoe 5.7 vortec that would do the same thing on cold start and I swore it was a rod knock but turned out to be a cracked flywheel.

Balancer bolt loose and or key way worn from being loose, flywheel for cracks/ loose. As mentioned it could also be rod bearing dying.
Check the crank thrust as well

garyk1970 said:
Mobile one before oil change ,and a Blue ac delco....oil filter could cause this?

I had a Mobil one that did that. Switched to a Napa (wix) and never heard it again.

I had a Mobil one that did that. Switched to a Napa (wix) and never heard it again.
im experiencing the same problem. car sat for 3 weeks. started it up this morning and rods were knocking for a few seconds and then went away. I am also using a Mobil 1 filter and the oil filter relocation kit. Is the mobil 1 filter a bad choice ? using 10w30 oil also. Had the oil pan off not long ago to replace the pan gasket. while under the car i had a real good look at the rod caps. I was able to move all of them side to side some. Im not really ready for a rebuild right now, engine is running fine and the knock goes away in a second or 2. Can i go with changing the bearings to an oversise bearing ? or just wait till it dies and rebuild the whole engine ?

The verdict is still out on the GN......hes gonna pull engne soon and check everything....

Back