You can type here any text you want

Cold water to the plenum?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

iraceitall

I have been reading that to keep a denser air charge, to disconnect or block off the heater lines to the plenum. Why not set up a small pump and "cool can" and pump ice water through the plenum? Wouldn't that work to help make a denser fuel charge, like a cool can or cold air intake?

it has no effect on air temp , its only there to keep the blade from freezing to the throttle body at the bottom edge on cold damp days (icing)

That being said, welding the intake exhaust crossover holes shut on the intake and installing some fittings going up and piping cold water through that would probably do something since the passage goes right under the intake. Not sure what would happen to the fuel mixture when it drops in temp but its food for thought. Just another thing to try on a max effort carb turbo.

The plenum heat is to avoid fuel puddling under the carb. In 1982, Buick went to using an EGR passage vs engine coolant as a means to heat the plenum quicker (for better cold start emissions). We all have already removed the THERMAC air cleaner, which kept air coming air above 75°F. Removing the plenum heat source as well could cause more problems than it helps. When my EGR valve died, I noticed off-idle bogging when outisde air temps were in the 40's-50's. (New EGR valve fixed the bogging) I would expect the same on a hot day if the plenum were chilled.

With this in mind, I prefer the coolant heated plenum. I am concerned that the EGR heated plenum gets very hot and it heats inconsistently (based on how often the EGR is opening). With the coolant heated plenum, it will still get warm (not super hot) and be consistent. Plus, it can easily be disconnected if you find you can run without it.

In the summer the heating hose is dis connected to the plenum Run a 5/8 hose to frony of car and hook it to a larege funnelin front of rad saddle so when you drive it blows outside air in to theplenum helps with vapor lock and can feel diff in temps when diconnected . Does it make power, probably not but does keep the temp cooler pre turbo.

Back