Concerned about clunk over bumps in RR of car

D

Datsunboy

Hey guys, Ive had a wierd THUMP everytime i go over a big bump or unload the right rear side of the tire. I jacked it up and simulated the action with a breaker bar, and to my dissapointment it seems my wheel bearings are taking a dump on me. COuld this be the cause of the huge "thump" over bumps? its not a dull thud, it sounds very metalic as well.

Let me know guys, im getting ready to start fumbling around for bearings and parts, but if i dont need them id rather start elsewhere!

PS.. the ass of my car sags like crazy, thinkin its time for bushings/springs as well. Just need to know what to prioritize on.

Evan

my 442 started that once drove me nutz till i realized the bottom shock mount was a little loose ...not real losse just slightly and was thumping on bumps

Check the right rear body-to-frame bushing too, could be rotted, collapsed or even missing all together.

HTH Jim

Check the control arm bolts, especially the ones that go through the frame in front of the rear wheel.

Never thought to check body bushings. Ill do that. It seems like that could be the culprit?

So exactly how can you tell if the rear wheel bearings are going bad?

Thanks - Evan

Exhaust could be it, but the THUMP is much more substantial than that. If i could get my stupid idle below 2k id just chop the exhuast off under the floor and put dumps on. Sounds stupid idling at 2k with dumps though LOL.

Thanks, ill look into all this stuff - Evan