You can type here any text you want

Cost?

• Thread starter Thread starter gibbs_000
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Well, i just bought a COMPLETE TTA motor aside from the MAF for $2K+shipping, motor mounts and all. EVERYTHING needed for th conversion, even an adapter plate for the 700r4 if i choose to use it.

Now i think i got a steal and a half, i've seen TTA motor's going for upwards of 3K for a stock motor. ITs gonna depend a lot of what deals you can find. If you decide to go with a 200-4r tranny you'll need the tranny(obviously) a new x-member and a new torque arm. Steve Spohn has this package for around $350 for arm and x-memeber. I THINK you'll need to get your driveshaft cut.

As for me i'm undecided about my tranny. I have a nicely built 700r4 lined up, but a lot of guys are telling me to go with the 200-4r. But cost comes into play, i've seen BFR 200-4r's going for around $400, ones that need a rebuild, not too mention the other stuff needed for the conversion, so right there i'd be around $800 BEFORE a good strong rebuild, which i can't see being any cheaper than 600-700 bucks.

What are the differences in the 2 tranny's?? Do i have to remove the A/C or is that only if I use a GN engine?

the AC has to go if u use a GN motor

the tranny difference is the 2004r has less of a 1-2 gear drop than the 700r4.

TH-200R4

1st gear ratio: 2.74

2nd gear ratio: 1.57

3rd gear ratio: 1.00

4th gear ratio: 0.67

TH-700R4

1st gear ratio: 3.06

2nd gear ratio: 1.62

3rd gear ratio: 1.00

4th gear ratio: 0.70

So once you have all the necessary parts how hard is the actual Drop in canit be done in a weekend?? or is it much harder than that?

Originally posted by TurboTA3.8
torque arms are the same on the turbo 6 and v8 cars

so the tq arm from a 700r4 will bolt to a 200-4r? if thats the case you just made me VERY happy, PLEASE clarify and confirm that. So i won't have to spend $355 for the Spohn Tq arm and x-member package? i'll just have to get the x-member? what about the driveshaft? i've heard different things about that too.

If you have a TTA x-member then yes a stock V8 torque arm will work.The reason is because on a TTA the arm mounts to the x-member instead of to the tranny.

HTH,
Steve

Originally posted by TTA850
If you have a TTA x-member then yes a stock V8 torque arm will work.The reason is because on a TTA the arm mounts to the x-member instead of to the tranny.

HTH,
Steve

you're f'in kidding me? so if i spent the $100 on a Steve Spohn 200r4 x-member for a thirdgen i could put the V8 TQ arm in? WAHOOO

Steve, i need to know if i have to get my DS cut, cause i have a 200r4 line up possibly, you need to find that out for me PLEASE, i might make you happy and get the freakin 2004r after all :D

Yes you need to cut the driveshaft,the 700R4 is 30 13/16" long while the 200R4 is 27 3/4" long so you need to take out 3 1/16" out of your driveshaft.I do't know who around you does it but there is a place by me that will shorten and balance your driveshaft for around $50.I don't have an aluminum one,only steel but you can use one of mine while you have yours cut so when we are ready to drop the motor in you won't have to wait for the shaft to get cut and you can use the car while it's being cut.

Steve

well steve, looks like i might be going 200-4r then, is one out of a 86 Monte SS good? it is rebuilt with better clutches and stuff, i have to get more info on it...anything to look out for with a 200 from an SS?

From what I understand the only good ones are:

BRF-Obvious,was in 86-87 turbo buicks
CRF/CZ-was in 84-87 Monte Carlo SS
TAF-was in 89 TTA only(Not very common,obviously but thankfully I have a spare :D )
OZF-was in 83-84 Hurst Olds
OZF-was in 85-87 442

Steve

CRF/CZ-was in 84-87 Monte Carlo SS

Did EVERY SS from 84-87 come with this tranny? Also what would be the difference between that and a BFR tranny? I'd figure the servo and governor would be different, but would it still be fine with the TTA motor?

TAF-was in 89 TTA only(Not very common,obviously but thankfully I have a spare :D )

*******!!!!!!!!!!! :D

The differances between the CRF/CZ and the BRF are a slight differance in valve body and governer calibration and the CRF has a 92 servo(second hardest spring)while the BRF and TAF have a 94 servo(hardest spring)

Steve

Oh and yes every Monte SS came with it but still be sure to check the tag,if it's missing or in the wrong place walk away :D

Steve

Oh and yes every Monte SS came with it but still be sure to check the tag,if it's missing or in the wrong place walk away :D

Steve
'83 and '84 SS came with a Turbo 350C. It wasn't until '85 that they got the 200. So '85-'88 SS got the 200's.

Back