You can type here any text you want

could a lean condition act as a rev limiter

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Red Supra

Hello all,
Can a lean condition prevent a motor from revving out to redline acting like a rev limter? There is a lean spot that happens when tps gets above 20% and the car just wont rev past 3k rpm.
At idle i get about 85 kPa.
thanx
Max
93 Supra turbo with FAST/edist/dis4 and 5 bar kalvaco map

How big of a cam is in your motor? 85 kpa at idle isn't much vacuum.

well if your engine is getting zero fuel (really lean), then it won't rev any more.

If it runs "leaner than it should" (17:1?) then you will be rev limited by piston chunks flying everywhere, slowing the engine down.

Other than that, you don't want a "lean condition" to act as a rev limiter. If you are running lean, either fatten it up or save your $$ for a new motor.

Seriously, if you idle at 85KPA, you have something wrong. However you say that you have a 5 bar sensor- I don't think these will work with FAST (without some big-time tinkering), you might need a 3-bar.

I run the 1/4 mile at 85 KPA or so- I'd be amazed if you idle at 85 KPA.

Something's rotten in Denmark.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

12" of vacuum should be about 60 kPa.

If you are reading 85 kPa, then I think we're getting near our problem... Do you have a 3-bar sensor you can throw on there?

What sensor is the FAST set up for in the config tables?

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

It's the 5 bar sensor. I'd expect 12 " vacuum to be in the upper 40's to low 50's.

Bob C. You go through the traps at 85 kpa ? Does the sensor read 99 to 101 kpa with the motor off / key on? If so that puppy needs a bigger air filter or a larger throttle body. Hmmm, do I remember you mentioning hood clearance problems ?

Originally posted by bobc455
If it runs "leaner than it should" (17:1?) then you will be rev limited by piston chunks flying everywhere, slowing the engine down.

Seriously, if you idle at 85KPA, you have something wrong. However you say that you have a 5 bar sensor- I don't think these will work with FAST (without some big-time tinkering), you might need a 3-bar.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

I have not been able to drive the car. I've been just playing with VE and AE while the car is parked and just revving. It wasn't going over 3k rpm. The leanest it shows is 15.9-1 when the tps gets to 20%. I've gotten a version of Ccom for windows that has a 5 bar option from FAST. Maybe FAST is using a different 5 bar sensor. Last nite while looking over the logs i did notice also the strange map readings. I will try a 3 bar today as well as contract FAST and verify what 5 bar sensor they used.

Here is a screenshot of Ccom http://home.attbi.com/~redsupra/images/5bar.jpg

Thanx
Max
93 Supra turbo

Back