You can type here any text you want

Craig/Lance/Somebody

• Thread starter Thread starter gm2bad
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
G

gm2bad

Need help with my fast system on a 94 Ford TFI setup.Something is wrong with the way its setup.When I install the wires as B to pip,A to spout,D to ground,Neg to points,12volt to start and run I get nothing,no spark and no rpm sig.But if I install B to where you want A it fires,runs,gets rpm sig but no spark advance.By the way Mike told me to switch them around.That is the only way it will run no other connections make any difference,connected not connected,as long as B is to A and its getting 12volts and ground at D with neg to Msd6AL white.But it just stays at 10 degrees.I have tried all other possible connections.Anything you can help me with.Thanks Gary.:confused:

Sounds like perhaps the external TFI module isn't wired the same way as the one mounted on the distributor. If you can get it to run but you have no spark advance, I think you have it hooked up right. I would guess that you either have a problem related to the actual distributor timing and/or crank ref angle setting, or the module is bad.

You may want to post this problem on a Ford website where there will be more expertise with the hardware involved, or try calling your dealer as well. I simply don't have a great deal of experience with Ford ignitions. Sorry I can't narrow this down anymore than that. :(

TFI wiring

Thanks for the reply.I bought a new 93 model MSD billet dist just to try and avoid some of these problems.Mike said it might simplify things.Everybody says just wire it up like the book but no luck.The crank ref angle is at 10.00 and the dist was dropped in at 1 tdc.Thought maybe it might be wrong so tried 180 but popped and backfired so it was right.Like I said it fires right up and idles good but at 10btdc.I'm about to give up.Thanks anyway.

The distributor should be dropped in at 10. I don't think this will cure the "no advance" problem but the actual timing of the distributor and the ref angle need to be the same.

What does the ECU say the timing should be? You don't have the whole map set to one number do you? Look in the spark table. There is a sensor called "Spark (BTDC) at the bottom of the table. Whatever number you see in there is what you should see with a timing light. If the crank ref angle is set to 10, fire it up and twist the distributor until this is the case. Then you know things are right.

Hope this helps. You are close. Don't give up. Otherwise the Buick guys will make fun of ya. :D

spark table

The spark table for for idle rpm is at 35.I am using a freinds program,the only difference in our cars is he has 83lb inj and I have 75lb inj but I changed that in setup.But one funny thing I noticed is that at idle the btdc read 39 but I have no 39 setup in the table.Is something off some where.Never mind it just thinks its altering the timing.Will set base to 20 for now and change the setting in the parameters since 20 is max timing under boost.

Back