You can type here any text you want

deep oil pan

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KendallF

Blah blah blah
Well, I am working on my oil pan. I have yet to put the drains for the turbos in or weld a triangular front nose on it for the 20 bolt pan style front cover but it's deepened and the drain's been changed to allow getting all of the oil out. Here's what I started with:

Beauty, eh?

A couple of shots of work in progress:

ugly!
still ugly

And here it is now:

deep pan

I'm going to finish the pan in the next few days and start on a custom pickup for it. I may CNC a few o-ring flanges for the pickup and make a jig for the pickup tube. If anyone's got some good pictures of a pickup for the early S2s, please share. Lee Thompson was kind enough to talk to me about the ones he does a while back and help me get started on mine..thanks Lee!

So how far did you extend the pan? 1.5-2.0 inches?
How about that bung in the bottom of the pan?
Soldered in place?
Easy to get off?
Nice work Kendall.
We gonna see it at B/G next spring?:D

cover

I know you have been working on some kind of different front cover. Is the bottom of it the same as a 20 bolt 87 cover? If so you can drill and tap 2 new holes to match you 14 bolt pan with out changing the front of pan. Just a thought.

Originally posted by The Radius Kid
So how far did you extend the pan? 1.5-2.0 inches?
How about that bung in the bottom of the pan?
Soldered in place?
Easy to get off?
Nice work Kendall.
We gonna see it at B/G next spring?:D

I added a 2" strip. Solder...why in heck would I want to do that? :) The drain is a 50 cent nut welded where the original drain hole was. After looking at the thing, it might've been smarter to put the drain in the rear, angled so that it doesn't stick down so far. I may change it..I have another 50 cent nut. ;)
I sure hope it's at BG..in fact, I am shooting to have it running and ugly for Bradenton in February.

Originally posted by Lee Thompson
I know you have been working on some kind of different front cover. Is the bottom of it the same as a 20 bolt 87 cover? If so you can drill and tap 2 new holes to match you 14 bolt pan with out changing the front of pan. Just a thought.

The bolt pattern's the same as a stock 20 bolt cover..but the bottom of the casting doesn't extend all the way back to the block the way a stock one does. I needed to add a triangle there or I'd have a gap. I guess it's no huge deal while I'm hacking the rest of the thing up.

Now, what to use for pickup tube bends? I was going to chop up a stock pickup but I'd like to have something with a little larger diameter. I was in Home Depot yesterday and walked by the electrical conduit bend section..that might work. :p

Originally posted by The Radius Kid
Let's try that again.
How was the puck attached to the pan bottom originally?
Maybe Lee knows?

OK...the original one. It appeared to be welded to the pan bottom; I used a die grinder with a cutoff wheel to remove it. If you made a new drain elsewhere, there's no real reason you'd need to remove the old one, I suppose.

I have a question...
I remember seeing Mike Pitts pan and he had added metal to the rail to beef it up, more like the later pans, looked like a lot of work, is it needed, do the pans deflect or warp and leak??

:cool:

I am just following up on some threads so people know I do finish some of these things.. :) Here are follow-up pics of my pan with the turbo drains added, the drain relocated to the rear (I got nervous about how far down it protruded), and the baffle fabricated and installed.

inside pan
outside pan
bottom
drain

I don't think they are prone to leaking, but the thick flange is definitely an improvement.

Here's the pickup also; I went to the parts store, got the longest pickup I could find (I think it was a Chrysler part) and hacked it up to make mine. I also machined some billet flanges that take an o-ring to seal at the block.

pickup flange

pickup

pickup

Is there more screened area on the sump end of pickup that doesn/t show in pic.? Not trying to be negative, but the screened area looks somewhat small, what if you get some trash over the screen? The flange looks GOOD.

Kendall Nice work:cool: You could be the next Cas:D Have you done anything with the Valve Covers i sent you. Please post pictures of those boat anchors, i am curious to see the finished product. :D :D

Re: pickup

Originally posted by Lee Thompson
Is there more screened area on the sump end of pickup that doesn/t show in pic.? Not trying to be negative, but the screened area looks somewhat small, what if you get some trash over the screen? The flange looks GOOD.

Good point..I guess I am figuring that if I get that much trash in the pan, it's dead anyway. :D I will run several of those flanges when I get a chance and send you some. :)

Originally posted by njturbo

Kendall Nice work :cool: You could be the next Cas :D Have you done anything with the Valve Covers i sent you. Please post pictures of those boat anchors, i am curious to see the finished product. :D :D

Travis, I haven't done a thing with those..they're still sitting on the shelf. And thanks, but I don't have Tony's talents...at either fabrication or prevarication! :eek:

pan

Maybe trash was the wrong word to use ---how about a few stands of sealant, plus a a few pieces of gasket material. That is where they will end up at.

I really like the windage tray stud and support bracket Lee did. Kendall you might want think about doing that, plus it will give you more reasons to use your welder.

KendallF:

If you have the time when you are making some of the flanges to make an extra one, I will pay you for it.

If you can do this, let me know how much and I will send you the money.

I will appreciate your help.

Donald McMullin

KendallF:

If you have the time when you are making some of the flanges to make an extra one, I will pay you for it.

If you can do this, let me know how much and I will send you the money.

I will appreciate your help.

Donald McMullin

Originally posted by Ted A.
I really like the windage tray stud and support bracket Lee did. Kendall you might want think about doing that, plus it will give you more reasons to use your welder.

Ted, I am going to do exactly that. Lee was kind enough to give me the stud part #.

Donald, it may be a couple of weeks before I have time to do it; I'm going to be a rod narrowing fool the next couple of machine shop visits. Email me your address and I will send you one.

Not a rush for me, I am still assembling the basic parts for my motor.

I am most likely 6 to 12 months away from assembling it. I have a production 4.1L block I am working on now.

Donald McMullin

Back