You can type here any text you want

differences in MAFT units?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2toneNV

What are the differences of the MAFT Translator PRO and the MAFT Gen 2? Which one would work with the scanmaster or can you forget the scanmaster and go with one of these instead and forget the scanmaster?

The Translator Pro and Translator GenII are very similar in most ways, but there are a couple major differences.
They both will utilize WBO2 tracking. The Gen II is basically an updated version of the older Translators..

The biggest difference is that the Pro allows you to go "mafless". It uses internal speed density tables to simulate the MAF signal and sends that to the ECM.
The Pro can also run most all mafs (although I don't know why one would want to).

The scanmaster is a stand alone scan tool and whether you run it or not is not dependent on what other devices you run.

Great! I just got my WBO2 setup installed a couple weeks ago, so that facet of tuning is a new world for me. Only been out once or twice though, the weather even here doesn't leave much time for getting out for tuning during winter. I only get it out oncer every couple weeks or so. Lot's-o-rain here lately.

So with the MAF PRO does it require a wide band o2? If so where did you find the set up for it? I am considering going with the pro to eliminate my stock (useless) maf sensor but just trying to know what all componets I will also need to go with it. I know I will need a different type of map sensor by the looks of it. Also does full throttle speed burn a custom chip for you as well with the order of the maf pro? Im just looking for a grand total cost wise and what all is needed from start to finish to try to get my car set up properly.

So with the MAF PRO does it require a wide band o2? If so where did you find the set up for it? I am considering going with the pro to eliminate my stock (useless) maf sensor but just trying to know what all componets I will also need to go with it. I know I will need a different type of map sensor by the looks of it. Also does full throttle speed burn a custom chip for you as well with the order of the maf pro? Im just looking for a grand total cost wise and what all is needed from start to finish to try to get my car set up properly.

Cost wise, depends on how far you want to go.

Minimum requirement for the Pro;
Translator Pro
3 bar map
recommended to move the IAT (inlet air temp sensor) to somewhere post intercooler to make it a MAT (manifold temp sensor).

Do you have to have a WBO2? No, not really, (I ran with the stock O2 for a couple months) but it sure makes life easier.
The most popular brands are LC1 (sensor and controller about $198)
or PLX SM-AFR (sensor and controller about $198)

You can use whatever chip you like, I recommend getting the Extender Pro chip from F.T. (~$120) to take full advantage of all of the Extender and Translator features.

The MAFT Pro doesn't require a wideband; there is a wideband tracking feature that will adjust fuel based on a desired AFR target. In short, you know your car runs strongest at 11.2 AF; dial it in, and the system does the rest.

There is a specific chip the Bob Bailey burns for the Pro, based on your setup.

Get the Casper's plug and play harness to install the Pro- easy and fast.

Cost- about $700 for the Pro w/accessories & chip, + $120 for the harness.

Install time is about 4-6 hours.

Hey guys thanks for the advice, and turbodave I like the idea of the IAT sensor relocating that makes much more sense than in its stock location. Now that I know what I am in for I will try to set some money aside for this project. Southern CA. you said install time is 4-6 hours? What all does installation intale on this? I was under the impression it is pretty much plug and play other than any modication to the MAP sensor/harness, but I really have no idea :confused:

First time I booked 2-3 hours; took me twice as long:biggrin: I was tracing wires so I could better understand how things connected. The most time consuming was the underhood part.

Can do it in 45 minutes to a hour now.

Installation:
-Disconnect the battery
-Relocate the IAT to the inlet pipe per Dave's suggestion.
-Install the new boost solenoid if you purchased it.
-Remove the ECM, and install the Casper's harness per the instructions. Connect the wideband to the MAFT Pro.
-reinstall the ECM, and start the car

Start tuning!

Back