You can type here any text you want

Directions on how to rebuild a stock posi?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TA49-WE4

Anyone know where I can get step by step directions on how to rebuild a stock G80 posi unit? I have a new clutch rebuild kit from GM part # 231127.
Thanks

remove tires and drums
remove cover (1/2 - 13mm)
remove carrier pin lock bolt (5/16 - 8mm)
remove large carrier pin (slides out )
push axle in and retreive c clips from axle ends with a magnetic pickup pull axles back a few inches

easier to do out of car but can be done in car , up to you, if you remove carrier mark the caps so they reinstall as you removed and note shims so they go back where they were
rotate and remove spider gear and spider thrust washer (keep them together)
knock the S spring in a little rotate carrier 180 , pull spring out

remove the side gear and clutches /plates and shim that are behind them

replace with new clutches plates and shims (same as you removed them) and reinstall side gear into carrier
do same for other side

put spiders and thrust washers back
tap S spring back in ( vise grip tongs make it easier)
push axles in and reinstall c-clips ,pull axles back , install large carrier pin back and retainer bolt
put cover back on

remove plug at passengerside front side of pumkin (3/8 drive extension)
fill with oil and posi lube pack, replace plug

replace drums and tires

be aware that as simple as the job is the carrier retainer bolt might be snapped i the carrier pin

id say about 50% of the ones i find are snapped

do a search (use advanced search) on the subject of removing the part that stays in. when the bolt snaps usually theres a thread or two left on the thin pin portion of that bolt , dont dry to beat the carrier pin or force it out if its snapped in there , ive never had to resort to the tool that they make to extract it (looks like an easy out drill bit ), just take the weight off the pin and spin whats left out with a pick or a magnetic screwdriver

Back