You can type here any text you want

Does anyone know what are the benefits to a carb spacer?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
Does anyone know what are the benefits to a carb spacer?
I have a phenolic one and I'm curious.....used it and it's o.k.

But aside from clearance.....what are they known for?:)

I think that it helps with the mixing/coolong of the fuel...hmm..memory fading.......
OK you made me open Roe's book(I knew I read it not long ago)

Page 105.....High-Riser
The function of the high-riser is to inprove distribution by eliminating directional effects caused by a partially opened throttle.

OK..I was right about the first part...and maybe on the secound
Jim

In addition, the phenolic plastic is an insulator. It keeps the carb cool.

Open spacers effectively increase intake plenum volume, which increases upper rpm flow and mixture distribution at the expense of bottom end. Usually more accelerator pump will be required. 4 hole spacers will help bottom end by straightening airflow through the carb, thus quickening booster venturi response. GB

Greg,

It's interesting you should mention that about the accelerator pump. After modifying my xtra electronic Q-jet, I noticed that the 'Roe' book only addresses secoundary system upgrades for the electronic carbs. But the non-electronic carb mods address the accelerator pump as well for more fuel feed and faster launch.

I can't understand why after all the mods I done I still get mediocre launch. It can't only be attributed the stock T/C and it's poor stall. :confused:

Watching a program on 'Funny' cars most of these engines are just built-up from basic 'grocery getter' engines. The thing that kept popping up was that the fuel system upgrades were made to feed these gas hungry beast. More fuel fed....faster launch!

Could this be 1/2 my launch problem? Could the stock primary feed shot be insufficient for good launch on the N/A Q-Jets? (One has to remember that the intention by Detroit was economy not launch).

I don't think that the turbo cars need a a bigger shot of fuel since they can put out more horse due to the turbo....

Greg, can you enlighten me a little? Am I on the right track here?

Freddie, I'll try to keep this as short as I can....
First- a primer on what the accelerator pump circuit is for
When the throttle plates are opened quickly, most of the time there won't be sufficient airflow through the carb to draw fuel from the main well. At worst, the engine will lean out and stall. At best, it might cough a little, then go. The acc pump is there to "cover up" this time delay in fuel flow, thus providing good throttle response by forcing fuel into the air stream.
Adjustments- pump volume, duration, and timing can all be tuned or modified to optimize the car's launch.
Volume is changed by changing the size of the discharge holes.
Duration is affected by the total volume of the pump reservoir AND the size of the discharge holes.
Timing can only be adjusted on Holleys with different pump cam positions.

On a QJet, the discharge holes must be drilled out in order to change the volume. Once too big, they have to be soldered shut and redrilled. If they're too small, the car will either stall immediately, or hesitate then go.
If the car initially goes, then hesitates, then picks up again, it needs more duration. This may happen after drilling out the holes, as the pump discharges quicker. On a QJet, duration can be increased by drilling additional holes in the pump lever on top of the carb, closer to the pivot. By installing the link from the throttle shaft in one of these holes, the stroke of the pump's plunger will be increased, providing more total pump volume. IF this max's out without satisfactory result, the pump cylinder can be reamed out to accept the 50% larger pump diaphragm from an old Rochester 2GC 2 barrell.
....to be continued... GB

Things that affect pump shot...
Cam duration - bigger = more pump
Carb size - bigger = more pump
Engine Size - bigger = less pump
Valve/Port Size - bigger = more pump
Intake - single plane, big runners, big plenum = more pump
Converter - more stall = less pump
Car Weight - heavy car = more pump
Header primary tube size - bigger = more pump
Ignition timing - more advance = less pump
Tires - racing slicks = more pump
Primary Main Jets - bigger = less pump
Float level - higher = less pump
Draw through turbo? Since the carb is at the end of 3 feet of pipe, with a compressor in the way as well, I'd guess it'd need more pump than N/A'd.
Stick Shift? You don't need any pump, since it's already at full throttle when you side step the clutch !!

My own experience: I liked the QJet on the stock 4.1 manifold, but once I changed to the Weiand/Yunick Accelerator intake, I couldn't get nearly enough pump duration, and had to switch to Holley's.

Hope this helped!! GB

I'll first measure the distance of the stock accelerator pump and see how far it pushes down when I pull back the throttle.

I think shaving off 1/32'nds of metal off the top of the pumps rod should help, (and that's only if it needs it).

I 'll leave the discharge holes alone. I measured the secounday air valve opening and it's 70 degrees. Grinded down the lever to get the full 90 degrees......this oughta help :D

Many thanks Greg!

Back