You can type here any text you want

Does the ECM lose it's memory?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

foxspy

Hey guys,

I have a 1990 Chevy 454ss truck w/ a 502ci motor w/ Speed-Pro electronics. It was running great, then it sat for 6 months while I was away for the Air Force. When I started it back up, it was running really rough, like the timing was way off, so I check the timing and it's not off, so then I change all the spark plugs and that made a big difference, but there's still a vibration giving and letting off the gas. Does the computer lose memory just sitting there w/ a dead battery connected to it after 6 months? Suggestions??

Thanks,

It should not lose the program.

After sitting for 6 months, I'd look for other things like moisture in the fuel, deteriorated spark plug wires, stuff like that. But the ECU should be fine.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

When I parked it, it had 1/8th tank of gas, and the other day I put a 1/2 tank of 93 octance in it, and since it's gone through about 1/4 of that. Can that much moisture build up to ruin that much gas?

Probably not, but possible...how much humidity in the area where the truck sat?

From past experience, I gotta ask...any chance of mice at play while you were away?

I found a Stewart Little condo in my airbox once!

HTH :)

Hey, I'm in the Navy, and my Gn did the same stuff after my last deployment. I just had to put some miles on it and it slowly came back into running good. I assume it was probably old fuel, maybe moisture where it's not supposed to be or whatever. But it will get better. I have the same problem now because I don't drive the car much now a days (got a new R1 that I LOVE and driving that mostly). But just letting the car sit for a few weeks causes mine to act the same way now.

Derrick

Back