You can type here any text you want

Does the FAST or Accel Gen VII have any adaptive logic?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

graphitert

Doing some comparison between tuning options. One option is a custom flash of my stock computer. Also looking at the stand alone systems like FAST or the Accel.

My concern is the factory OBD-II computer can offer some adaptive logic for things like altitude and LT fuel trimming and I'm not sure the aftermarket stand alones can do that. Can someone familiar with these 2 systems comment?

TIA,

Bob
'01 Dakota R/T - Paxton Novi 2000

I dont believe they are adaptive. You program it and set it where you want it to run, therefore no need to "adapt" to a small issue. If you are .3 off an A/F ratio, you can simply change your target A/F and it will go to that value. When you get the Ve table setup properly, and you determine that you have to richen or lean the mix, you simply change the target A/F table. Not sure on the Fast system the same as the Gen VII, from what I have learned their target A/F table doesnt exist or have the same function...Not sure if this even has anything to do with what you are looking to hear either.....that dfi guy or adfiguy is probably the one to ask on this subject...the Gen VII has a baro sensor that will compensate real time, so if you are up & down in altitude, it will work. The Gen Vi and FAST I think need to cycle the key once you go up or down cause they dont have baro sensor.

The OEM guys have it easy, their calibration is meant to run a specific engine combination. It is much easier for them to implement adaptive strategies that automatically compensate for changing environmental or operational parameters. The DFI, Fast, and other aftermarket systems have to be flexible enough to handle whatever engine combinations are thrown at them. This makes the adaptive stuff a little trickier to handle, but it is there just the same. Mostly it just requires a little tuning to see how a particular combination will react to changes in operating conditions. Once this is known, the calibration tables can then be programmed, and your adaptive strategy starts working.

The DFI Gen 7 box in particular has many features that cause it to operate very much like the adaptive features of a stock pcm. As mentioned, the presence of an internal barometric pressure sensor allows automatic adjustments to be made to the fueling strategy while you are driving to compensate for changing weather or altitudes. The unit will also alter it's fueling strategy based on feedback from an exhaust gas oxygen sensor in order to attain a pre-programmed target air-to-fuel ratio. Idle strategy is handled differently for stick cars vs automatic trans cars. On-board self diagnostics will detect problems and generate an output on a MIL line, as well as set error codes that are visible in the calibration software. Many other trims and compensations exist, most of them are based on preprogrammed calibration tables that need to be set up for your specific engine combination.

Once the calibration tables are set up properly, your car will run every bit as good with the DFI module as it did with a stock PCM before any engine mods were performed. The main benefit to aftermarket systems is that you can adjust for any changes that are done to your engine. Unless you do it yourself or pay ALOT of $$$, most custom flashes or performance chips for stock pcms are not much more than educated guesses as to how your engine mods might affect the driveability of your vehicle. "Real" custom flashes, done by someone with access to OEM calibration software, are usually more expensive, and tend to be more effective. However, there is only so much that can be done with the stock pcm before you start throwing trouble codes or run out of adjustments that can be made. That is where the aftermarket systems really begin to shine.

Especially when you start doing things like adding a blower, the factory computer will be the biggest stumbling block in the tuning process. As stated above, aftermarket systems give you a straightforward, simple approach to tuning that can be done in real time rather than burning and installing a new EPROM every time you want a change.

FAST, DFI, and many other engine management systems are speed/density systems, which means that changes in air pressure and temperature are accounted for "on the fly." If it gets hot out or if the barometer goes up, the ECU knows these things and adjusts fuel accordingly. The wide band O2 sensors used with these systems also provides feedback that you can use tom implement tuning changes on your own, and the ECU can also run in closed loop mode to help maintain air/fuel ratios you specify.

With your truck you need the stock computer to run the rest of the vehicle, but for for running the engine, I would definitely recommend an aftermarket system. FAST offers a system designed to work in tandem with your factory PCM.

Hope this helps you out... good luck however you proceed!

I've got a question about close loop mode on F.A.S.T. and Gen 7 DFI. When you have the ECU in closed loop, does it stay that way even at WOT, or does it go back into open and just read the VE table at that point?

I've got friends that are using F.A.S.T. and they run in closed loop, but I was never sure if the ECU was staying in closed loop at WOT.

Closed loop at WOT is possible and commonly done. You don't ever want to do it with a narrowband sensor, but with a wideband system it's OK. If your VE table is set up well it doesn't really make a difference in how the car runs, but some people like it in closed loop for the safety net it can provide. Should some type of fuel delivery problem arise, the closed loop routine will increase injector pulsewidth in an attempt to keep you at your programmed WOT a/f ratio. This has saved a few people's bacon from frying a few times. Even if it can't do enough to keep you right at your target a/f ratio, it can at least try and possibly prevent major damage from leaning out too much while under power.

Originally posted by Craig Smith
Closed loop at WOT is possible and commonly done. You don't ever want to do it with a narrowband sensor, but with a wideband system it's OK. If your VE table is set up well it doesn't really make a difference in how the car runs, but some people like it in closed loop for the safety net it can provide. Should some type of fuel delivery problem arise, the closed loop routine will increase injector pulsewidth in an attempt to keep you at your programmed WOT a/f ratio. This has saved a few people's bacon from frying a few times. Even if it can't do enough to keep you right at your target a/f ratio, it can at least try and possibly prevent major damage from leaning out too much while under power.

Thank you, Mr. Smith. You're a good man.

Back