You can type here any text you want

Doing research on dropping fuel tank

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tta1401

Well, when I get back, I have 2 cars to work on. One of them being my TTA and I have to upgrade the fuel pump. Got the 340 for her. Well, I need some tips on dropping this baby. I have read this before but didn't really pay attention and now I can't find the procedures again. I know you have to drop the rear end and take the exhaust out. Am I correct on that? What else should I do that I might oversee? Should the rear end come all the way down? Never really pulled a rear end out so a little explanation on that would be really helpful.

After I get this project done, I have poly motor mounts, injectors, DP and other stuff and lots of tuning on the TTA. Can anyone give me a little help before I tackle this? I have a note pad and I will take some notes.;)

TIA,

That is a great guide, but I noticed that he also removed the torque arm. When I did mine I didn't have the arm removed and the axle was low enough to clear the tank.

I definately liked his idea about bending down the triangular hole for the neck, you will know what I am talking about when you get the tank loose :D :eek:

Glad you like it. "He" is me. On the torque arm, I did pull it but I can see where you can do it without taking it off. The rear end would just pivot down. The more I think/remember I pulled it because I was not sure of the play I had for a long pivot at the tranny cross member.

brent

Thanks a bunch guys! I am glad that I don't have to take that torque arm out. How long of a job was it on average?

I swapped in a new rear end and fuel pump with a friend in about 6 hours or so. The tricky part is that filler neck. Also u might want to replace your sway bar end links, mine were shot.
~Murt

Thanks Murt. I will keep that in mind. After reading the article, looks like it will be pretty easy. Well, I probably just jinxed myself!

Don't worry about the torque arm. If it needs to come out it is three bolts, 2 at the rear end and one at the trannsmission cross memeber. No big deal.

Good call on the end links. One of those while you are there things. I did my shocks while I was under there.

Brent

I know this is a little off beat, but much much easier. ( I am not goign to do this to mine)

My brother and I did this on his 89 RS that had an original 305 TBI but now has a ZZ4 350 runni Nitrous.

We pulled the carpet up in the hatch. Drilled a hole above the gas tank where the pump is, and then used a sawsall to cut an access window to the fuel pump. Cut 1.5" Sections out of the lines and up came the pump. New one went in, and we welded in a hinge and for the newly created little flap. Put HIGH PRESSURE rubber fuel lines back where we removed the metal ones. and closed the window put back down the carpet. Took all of about 1.5 hours to do. Which was a good thing because the fuel pump we put in failed in about 3 hours of operation. So, putting the next pump in took only about 15 minutes.

I will not hack up my TTA this way, but honestly you cant tell what we did since the gas tank and carpet both hide the cuts.

I dunno about cutting a hole into the rear hatch, that just doesn't sound safe with sparks and gas around. GM probably should of put some kind of access panel back there to make a fuel pump swap easier... but just cutting holes is just hackery.

Welding near a gas tank like that and cutting your fuel lines seems harder then just unbolting things and dropping the tank. I would just take the extra few hours to do it the right way, even know you could probably not notice it because it is under the carpet. It isn't that hard of a job as long as u have a friend and the proper instructions. Just my opinion.

~Murt

I have heard of this being done but not sure how it could be. I don't recall that much clearance between the tank and trunk pan. Like you said, not on my TTA.

A camaro, well now that is a different story :D !!!!

Brent

Hey Sean, If you would like some help with your project let me know when you get back. I'll be happy to help you with it. See Ya. Tim

W had everything plugged off before welding. It makes it a lot easier... especially the 2nd time around when the pump failed. :mad:

Like I said... not on my TTA though.

Yea, I would not do that to my TTA. It is not like I change pumps on her all the time. Well at least I hope not.:D Good idea though.

Tim B.-
Yea, that sounds good to me. I would really like to see your TTA also. I am going to PM you.

Back