You can type here any text you want

Down on power. Help please.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Spoolin-GN

I just got my 1985 Grand National going this morning. I bought it about a year ago and I believe its been sitting since about 2003! Was told the fuel pump went out and they said they replaced but it still didnt work so they just parked it. Well once I got it i tore the fuel pump out and figured out they wired it in backwards. Then afterI had fuel the car would run but you would have to feather it like all hell to keep it trying to stay running. I just replaced the maf and the damn thing actually runs pretty good for how long its been sitting.

After having it running for a while I decided to see if it would move and suprisingly there was no problems with the transmission ( have had bad experiences in the past buying used non running vehicles). Anyway I took the car around the block and it drove pretty good, seemed to be shifiting fine etc. After a bit I decided to get on it some to see how it would respond but it didnt seem like it really much of a difference. But I can hear my turbo spoolin like a mad man. Almost feels as if the car isnt getting any boost.

Any ideas? I know I need to invest in a scanmaster and a spring cleaning is in the works now. But does anyone have any ideas on why my turbo would be so loud and not seeming to get much power to the wheels? The car is stock , full exhaust with dual chambered flowmasters aswell.
Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

-Jordan

AIRC, there's a seal between the turbo outlet and the intake....If it's rotted/blown out, you'd 'hear" the turbo as it would be blowing the boost out in the engine compartment.

When I first got my GN I had a similar experience no matter how much I tried to make boost....it just wouldn't spool up. I discovered that the previous owner had loosened the adjustable wastegate rod to prevent overboosting...to compensate for a BLOWN wastegate actuator.

Based on your report of the turbo "spooling like mad" however...I would also guess the 2 orings on the neck of the turbo outlet are blown. Buick should have used a hose with clamps on the 84-85 to prevent this.

Appreciate the fast response. I will check for the loosened wastegate rod. I didnt know there was a gasket there, it does sound like that would be the case. When i would blow the pipe off one of my turbo mustangs , this is how it sounds with the turbo screaming. Does anyone know where i can get one of these gaskets and if they require much work to change? Thanks again you guys.

Hmm thats not really what I wanted to hear at all haha. Oh well it needs to be done. Doesnt feel so bad on initial take off but after it just hits a wall.

Once you do it a couple of times it gets pretty easy...can easily be done in an hour if you let it cool down. Prolly be a good time to replace the rubber grommet that the oil return line feeds into as well since its probably leaking. When you put the turbo back on...MAKE DAMN SURE you get that oil return pipe ALL the way back into the rubber grommet and test run before you drive...if you dont it will drain your engine in minutes.

Back