Dumb Question

tech69

Maybe someone might be able to solve my dilemma. I bought a 86GN about a year ago without getting any history from the seller. About a month ago, it rained (sometimes it does that in Hawaii) and I found damp spot on the floor by the passenger front seat. The other night, it rained again and this time on the floor at the back of the driver's side seat, I found it soaking wet. I have changed the doors' rubber weather strippings so I knew the water is not coming in from the windows.
Can someone tell me where the water is coming from? Why, one day it's the front passenger side that got wet and next the back of driver's side seat.
Thank you.

Manny

I would guess the windshield seal. Door weatherstrips generally leak on the doors.

Originally posted by BADINBLACK6
Try turning a hose on it and spray the car down and see if you can find where it is leaking.HTH

At a hi-pressure car wash ideally...with you inside. HTH :)

IM GUESSING THIS ISNT A T-TOP CAR? :rolleyes:
At a hi-pressure car wash ideally...with you inside. HTH
He he he he, brings back memories. Bring a towel with you to hold up to the windows. Also helps to have a passenger to hold a towel on there side :D :D

I had and 82 Cutlass that did the exact same thing. It was parked outside all the time so when it rained it would start off light in the front drivers side floor and then it would get full in the rear pass. footwell area when it rained hard.
I talked to alot of the body shops and windshield shops around and they said the same thing, that it was most likely coming from the windshield. The windshield would have to be removed and reinstalled with new sealant to fix it. The cost was too great to me to justify so I popped off the chrome at the base and around the windshield and filled it with silicone caulking. I won't say it stopped it completely but it only leaked badly in the worst downpour after that.
Something to consider.... later when the engine died in this car I would completely strip it and I found a lot of rust...the trunk, doors, rear quarters, etc. This wasn't horrible amounts but this was an original California car, not from the East Coast, so there should have been far less. I am thinking that it was rusting at the base of the windshield at worst and at best it was just worn/old sealant.
The windshield shops wouldn't gauruntee not to break the window and if there was rust then that would need to be repaired that and the fact I didn't plan to keep the car long are why I chose the caulking method.
Sorry this is so long but I hope it was helpful in some way.

Manny,

My T does the same thing only when it rains hard. Mines is comming from the fresh air intake where it leads into the heater. I think its its drain plug for the evaporator getting clogged. How I fixed it was put a plastic bag where fresh air comes in, right below the pass wiper blades I put the plastic bag there and that seems to fixed the leak.