E85 and Cold Starts, how cold is it starting up at??

GNVYUS 1

I am no where close to firing up the E85 GTO right now with single digit temps but am curious how cold some of you are firing up your E85 cars. Around here it is actually E70 which should help but what is the lowest temp that it fired up at??

I never refueled with the E70 so I could keep my tune, I topped it off and let it sit for a few months.

I am no where close to firing up the E85 GTO right now with single digit temps but am curious how cold some of you are firing up your E85 cars. Around here it is actually E70 which should help but what is the lowest temp that it fired up at??

I never refueled with the E70 so I could keep my tune, I topped it off and let it sit for a few months.

Yea, in the colder states, they drop it to E70 for that very purpose. I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but it seems to me when the temperature is much under 40 degrees, it would typically take three times for the engine to start, but then I had no problems the rest of the day.

Ya, that info is what I am looking, so around 40 degrees needed 3 times huh. I guess the initial start is the problem.

Just looking for some info so I know what to expect when I fire up the GTO in the early Spring. I left the E85 in it so I have a feeling I need to be safe around 50 degrees to get it to fire.

Do not know if this helps you, but I keep my shop about 45Deg. during the winter months and on E85 there is no problem in starting what so ever, cranks right over as before E85, actually I might be closer to E90 as I add a couple of gallons of E100 when I fill up with the E85.

Ron

Good to know.

BTW, Ronbuick, are you buying the E100 in drums or is there a local gas station with it?? I know a few guys looking to go E100 on their race cars and are having a hard time getting it in drums etc.

Good to know.

BTW, Ronbuick, are you buying the E100 in drums or is there a local gas station with it?? I know a few guys looking to go E100 on their race cars and are having a hard time getting it in drums etc.

BTW, E100 is illegal. If it's truly E100 that would mean it's moonshine without any gasoline added to it to make it "non-drinkable". The ATF might not approve. ;)

It kinda smells like I would think corn liquor would smell, the E100 or 98, it is different smelling, even out of the tailpipe sitting at the light, kind of smells
like a still, lol. or what I imagine a still would smell like.

Ron

It kinda smells like I would think corn liquor would smell, the E100 or 98, it is different smelling, even out of the tailpipe sitting at the light, kind of smells

Ron

:lol: I hear ya! I think it smells good!

Ron

To me it actually smelled better when I was running 50/50, now with 100% E-85 its different for sure, still smells better than gas :biggrin: I'm sure the E98 and E-100 is even better :wink:

BTW: Ron what injectors were you running and @ what duty cycle in your track time listed ??

Gary

bsd, signature is a little misleading on track times, that was with 009's and alky, no idea of inj. duty cycle since the track does not allow laptops here, still in the points and carb era here. just switched over to E85 about 4months ago and have since installed 83's and a WB02. Inj. duty cycle on 21lbs
and just E85 about 70% with the DS running, I was having a problem and last week removed the DS cause my car was falling over, I removed the cable and made some runs last Sat. before the snow hit but with out DS and the car ran fine at 21lbs, but way fat since I had the alky with the E100 in it turned on, lots of snow, will have to wait, but car runs out just as stong as the times in my sig. if not better. Gotta love that smell!

Ron

E100 is 113 equivalent but will act much higher, around the 118 range. :eek:
ASAlliances Biofuels - growing the future of energy.
I heard Indy started using E100 last year.

I think E98 is out West and down in the South East but I could be wrong. But they rarely have days down in the 30's to cause a starting issue. Damn them!!

I didn't look into the E100 thing but it does appear as if that is not cool with the government, so E98 is as high as it goes octane wise.

E100 is 113 equivalent but will act much higher, around the 118 range. :eek:
ASAlliances Biofuels - growing the future of energy.
I heard Indy started using E100 last year.

I think E98 is out West and down in the South East but I could be wrong. But they rarely have days down in the 30's to cause a starting issue. Damn them!!

I didn't look into the E100 thing but it does appear as if that is not cool with the government, so E98 is as high as it goes octane wise.

To my knowledge, they don't sell E98 anywhere straight out of the pump at gas stations. Has anyone heard anything different? I'm not 100% sure on that.

And yes, Indy did go to E98 last year.