You can type here any text you want

eDIST Tech guestion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bruce

Rest In Peace
Does anyone know the eDIST output structure. Is it a high side current source, or a low side current sink?

TIA....

Low side.

Be careful with what you are connecting the unit to. We have found that the current design of the eDist does not provide adequate heat dissipation to drive most ignition coils and the drivers will unsolder themselves from the board if you try. The solution has been to feed a DIS-4 with the eDist outputs and have the DIS-4 run the coils.

We are currently testing a new design that should take care of this problem.

Originally posted by Craig Smith
Low side.

Be careful with what you are connecting the unit to. We have found that the current design of the eDist does not provide adequate heat dissipation to drive most ignition coils and the drivers will unsolder themselves from the board if you try. The solution has been to feed a DIS-4 with the eDist outputs and have the DIS-4 run the coils.

We are currently testing a new design that should take care of this problem.

Thank you so much!.
I can't imagine wanting to drive anything but the GM Smart Coils.

They are sooooooooo good.
To use a conventional coil, just wouldn't make sense to me. If someone is going to the trouble of going with the ultimate ignition why cut corners.
I say this after only getting the Smart coil to run out of suds at a .1" gap at 22 PSI. that's a bunch of ignition, IMO

Yes, I guess I should have mentioned specifically that the eDist can run the LS-1 type coils without the need for a DIS-4. And they are darn good coils.

I am considering going to a e dist setup on my 351 this winter. I am wondering what to use for the cam synch signal, any suggestions? I saw that MSD is now making a piece to take the distributors place and provide a cam synch signal. Have heard that the Explorer 5.0's can be adapted as well. This would let me get rid of my MSD 7 box and coil and let me run eight LS1 coils I think. Anyone tried this yet?

If MSD makes a dummy distributor with a cam sensor on it, that sounds cool to me. One other way to do it is to grind seven of the eight tabs off the reluctor wheel inside the distributor, but I couldn't bring myself to have an empty distributor sticking out of the front of my motor with a "distributorless" ignition setup on it.

I need to upgrade, badly!!! could one of you please email or pm me what's involved in swapping from a stock system to cnp?

Back