Eeproms??

boostcreep

I was thinking how nice it would be if some eeproms could be used in place of the 2732 eprom. I've looked around for some same size eeproms but haven't found any. Does anyone know how to do this?

Nick

Whats the point? 2732(A)s are relatively easy to obtain.

Originally posted by JayC
Whats the point? 2732(A)s are relatively easy to obtain.

EEPROMs don't need an UV bath to be cleaned up for reprogramming.

Thats true. I didn't consider that aspect. I do so enjoy the UV bath, though :)

I made up a little board with one stock type socket and one 28 pin zif socket, with a cable to go to a plug I made for the socket in the ecm. That way I can put a chip in a carrier in one socket and select either that or the zif socket. For the zif I can either use a 2764 eprom or a dallas ds1225 flash chip, which is electrically erased so no sunburn :). I have a switch on the extra address line (these are 8Kx8 instead of the stock 2732 4Kx8), and I can put two chip images and select one to run on. I did this both to avoid the uv step and because I was tired of standing on my head to change chips - now this board sits on the transmission tunnel and I can reach it from the drivers seat with no problems. Eventually I'll box it up and put it in the glove box. For now I have about a 2' cable on it, but I am going to try a longer one just to see if it still works. John Spina lists a chip switcher on his website but when I tried to buy one he said that he had reliability problems (noise issues) and didn't want to sell them. It's not a full emulator; I still have to physically move the chip back and forth, but it's better and faster than the old way. I got 3 boards made (that was their minimum) but I used my only spare socket to populate the first board. Are the carrier-style sockets still available or have they gone the way of the carrier?