You can type here any text you want

EGR Delete

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ikle

I am new to Buicks and don't understand why you would delete the EGR valve.My car is going to be 99.9% street driven and I read an article that states "If the EGR system is defeated,one may incur some light detonation at cruise because the ECM has leaned the mixure down anticipating less fresh air in the charge."If this is true, why would we want to do anything that can cause any kind of detonation no matter how little the detonation is.I understand that the EGR valve is disabled at idle and WOT and that would be fine if the car is only going to be used at the track .I see that some chip manufacturers disable the EGR valve all together,I just don't know if these chips are good for a street car or even if you can buy a performance chip that enables the EGR valve system to work,(just trying to see what chip I should get for my car.)Like I said I am new to Buicks and I just want to learn/understand these awesome cars.Any info would be great.
thanks,ikle.

Go with a TurboTweak chip, they are regarded as being the best by the vast majority of the turbo Buick community. EGR is completely disabled in both the race chips and street chips, and other chips don't compare as far as overall driveability. Some people will say that in order to use an EGR blockoff plate you must have the EGR ports in the heads and/or intake manifold filled in, otherwise the blockoff plate will leak, while others have had no problem getting them to seal, and one guy I know (not a board member) added a second bolt at the top of the plate to secure it to the intake manifold. I simply smeared a neat, thin layer of red hi-temp silicone to the back side of the plate and bolted it on and never looked back.

Thanks for the reply Mike, if I run the TT 93 oct. street chip do I have to remove the EGR valve and all of it's componants to make the chip work flawlessly? By having the EGR valve disabled will I have detonation will cruising around town or is there something programed into the chip to prevent this.
thanks, ikle

You don't have to do anything with the EGR valve, although removing it certainly gives a much cleaner look to that side of the engine and also eliminates the possibility of having your #3 injector harness short out by touching the hot EGR valve, thereby causing a blown head gasket or worse from that cylinder leaning out from the injector working sporadically. I still had my EGR intact for quite a while after going with a TurboTweak chip, and never had any problems like what you stated in your original post. In fact, I don't recall ever hearing about disabling the EGR causing that issue. I'm sure if it does though it's compensated for in the chip. People have been burning chips for these cars for many years now (I have a couple left over from the original owner when my car was quite new), so I'm sure all the bugs have been worked out. Eric Marshall at TurboTweak certainly seems to have done his homework.

Back