EGR Valve & TVS

drew666

Old Hot Rodder
Thanks to gofstbuick for sending me back to basics. Passed emissions test today with following #'s: Highspeed: HC=13 CO=0.00 CO2=14.9 O2=0.4 NOx=97 Dilution=14.9. Low Speed #'s are: HC=14, CO=0.00, CO2=14.9, O2=0.4, NOx=59, Dilution=14.9 Method gofstbuick suggested for checking EGR Valve & TVS was right on. Using his method of checking, if you hold your finger against the EGR Valve diaphram and another finger over the TVS orifice then moving the orifice finger on and off the TVS, you can see whether the diaphram is working. (Use this to check EGR if engine doesn't stumble. I found a code 13 set in the ECM. Replaced the O2 Sensor and re-tested emissions with negligible results. When I pulled the cat off, I found it was gutted. After replacing it the above #'s were the result. Interestingly, I found the engine had more torque (noticed not measured) with the cat on. Which raises the question of gutting cats for more performance. I suppose more modified engines would benefit from more flow, but why not just go 3" duals? Thanks again to gofstbuick for his help. Drew :)