Electric fan & clearance

84 RARE T

Had an idea, and wondered if anyone looked into this yet. Want to cool down the car better (84 T-Type) but also keep it looking stock (for car shows). Is there room enough (clearance) to mount an electric fan on the back side of the radiator, and in front of the original fan blades, all inside the shroud, of course? It would be great if there was about 3 or 4" between the original blades and the back side of the radiator, because I think most available fans would then fit. I must admit I haven't looked in the car yet to determine this, but had hoped one of you guys had thought about this already. Thanks for any input.

Yep, it can be done. A friend of mine had major cooling problems in the summer, he had already switched to and electric fan. We installed the stock fan and shroud along with the electric between the stock fan and radiator. His electric fan was pretty thin though.

Thanks, Cool 84.
Do you happen to remember the brand of fan, or if from the boneyard, what vehicle it came out of? If it was a new purchase, about what did it cost? Thanks!

I HAVE ALSO USED AN ELEC. FAN W/ STOCK FAN. PLENTY OF ROOM,AND I USED A 16" HAYDEN ELEC. FAN FROM PEP BOYS.NOW I ONLY USE ELEC. FAN.NO PROBLEMS.THE STOCK FAN IS SO EASY TO REMOVE, I WOULD USE ONLY ELEC. FAN.THEN PUT IT BACK FOR SHOWES.

Thanks, Mark Liner.
Was it easy to mount? Did you have to modify the shroud in any way?
Does it work off of just a direct on-off switch? Or, is it thermostatically controlled?
Lastly, do you remember the cost?

Thanks, Wayne

NO MODS. NEEDED TO FIT FAN.JUST PUT YOUR SHROUD ON AND LINE UP FAN, AND MOUNT.THE 16'' FAN WAS THE BIGGEST ONE THAY HAD.IT WAS AROUND 120$ THE CONTROL WAS A PRE SET UNIT TO COME ON AT 180*OFF AT 165* VIA A PROBE INSERTED IN RAD.VERY SIMPLE,CLEAN SET UP. CONTROL UNIT WAS 30$ ALSO HAD ADJ. CONTROL FOR 50$