You can type here any text you want

Electronics phobia

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tommyguns

Hello all, I am interested in getting another turbo Buick. I used to have an '86 GN and didnt get a chance to delve into it. So I want to learn more about the cars computer, what can be done, best way to tune, what should I buy for best performance?? What should I put in search to find out how all this works? I know you can put a chip in, but beyond that Im clueless. I have no idea what a scantool is or a tweecer. How can I learn about this? Thanx

Things have moved light years in just the last couple years as far as chips, scan tools, etc.

The Full Throttle chip line is top notch in my book. They offer the Commander line of chips for a car still running the stock MAF

Then there's a jump up to replacing the stock MAF with a much better flowing GM MAF from chevy/gmc etc. This of course will require the use of a Translator Gen II to translate the GM maf signal to a Buick value that the ECM understands. The Trans GenII also allows the use of a wide band O2 sensor for better air fuel ratio tracking/adjustment.

The next step up would be their Translator Pro which has all the features of the Gen II and in addition it allows the complete removal of the MAF and runs the stock ECM in speed density mode, allowing better inlet flow and far more powerfull tuning tools in the Trans Pro.

With either Translator series, it's best to use one of thier Extender line of chips simply for the ability to allow the stock ecm to read air flow beyond it's built in limit of 255. Thereby allowing much more precise fuel control in the higher flow areas.

Best chip for the Gen II would be Extender Extreme G
Best chip for the Pro would be Extender Pro

Scan tools include the one that everybody should have and that is the Scanmaster 2.1 series. This is a small device that allows the realtime monitoring of a large series of sensors on and around the engine. Does not have logging capabilities and does not require the use of a laptop.

Moving up the scale to a serious scan tool with powerfull logging capabilities would be the new Power Logger. It does require the use of a laptop.

I could go on forever here.

Is the Power Logger something you use in additons to the Scanmaster 2.1, or in place of?

I'm about to buy a Scanmaster 2.1 for my new 87 GN. Is the install farely starigh forward?

Is the Power Logger something you use in additons to the Scanmaster 2.1, or in place of?

I'm about to buy a Scanmaster 2.1 for my new 87 GN. Is the install farely starigh forward?

You can use both. I have an LM-1 in my car that records WB02, TPS, RPM, EGT and boost at the push of a button. It's nice having the info at your fingertips - you get even more from the Scanmaster. At the track I lug out the laptop and associated crap (power inverter, cabling, etc.) for more detailed data logging with DirectScan.

To the OP: while thankfully there are people designing new products for the TRs every day, there is always someone here on turbobuick.com that has done it first. Do some research (as you have started to do) and formulate a plan. If you have questions along the way the support here is great, but you have to get started. The best way to learn is to just do it.

Jim

Back