You can type here any text you want

Emissions Chip?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TURBO2

Does anybody know what changes are made to create an Emissions Chip besides running hotter? TIA.:confused:

Emmisions chips are really nothing more than a stock chip profile from the BBKJ image, and then the injector constant is changed to match the injectors (if needed).
That's the one I've had the best luck with. Burns real clean on a car that's in a good state of tune, working EGR, and functional cat.

Originally posted by TurboDave
Emmisions chips are really nothing more than a stock chip profile from the BBKJ image, and then the injector constant is changed to match the injectors (if needed).
Actually, there are some changes to let the eingine run hotter (more effeciently), but yeah, that's about it.

Actually, there's more you can do if you have access to an exhaust gas analyzer for testing. I posted a couple of years ago about how leaning it out some helped the hc and co (look in the archives here or at gnttype). If you look at the progression of Buick chips each one was leaner than the one before, so I just went a little further. Helped the gas mileage some, too. I couldn't check nox but when I went to the state test I passed with no problem so if I made it worse it was still more than good enough. There are also some gains possible from playing with the timing but I haven't explored that enough to report yet. For a low speed/high speed idle in park test that's about it. There's also more you can do for the dyno test, to try to make up for the awful drivers that they have. Here's my big secret (send one Diet Coke for each chip you make using this :-)): I turn the wgdc table to zero to limit boost for safety, then raise all the pe thresholds to max to make it impossible to get into pe mode. That's because the dyno drivers here like to use the "stab it then let completely off then stab it then let completely off" driving technique, since actually smoothly and gently accelerating, not to mention holding their foot steady to maintain a steady speed, seems to be beyond them. Yes, there's still AE but at least no extra wads of fuel from pe mode. I thought of this after a friend almost committed murder when his nice, clean running car failed hc miserably because of the idiotic "digital" driving technique of the tester. My friend was so mad he went and got the supervisor and tried to have him drive the car but that guy wimped out and said that he couldn't so the car failed. We gently dragged my friend out of there (okay, not so gently and he was still shouting as we left the parking lot but at least the police weren't called), and he later went to a different test station and passed with no problems. The first time my car went on the dyno I think I intimidated the driver because I made a big deal about setting up turbo link and recording the test, so I could tell him how well he did :-). He did great. I have to get tested in April so we will see how well I do this time.

You're right on Carl. I did what you described last year when my GN was due for inspection. I think the most important change was the fan turn-on temp (I pushed it to 200 deg!). The way I disabled boost was to make all the WG vs TPS table values 00. Then I pushed up the PE Enable TPS values so you wouldn't get PE until over 50% TPS.

By the way, you described the guy at my inspection station perfectly. Only I'm in New Jersey and you're not. How do you do that?

Oh yea, I passed the dyno test but when I was getting back in, the inspector said "You've got a powerful car there." If he only knew, if he only knew...;)

Back