Engine Kaputt?

Boostmeister

While driving to work this morning, I started to hear a knock knock knock sound like detonation. The car gradually lost power and the sound got louder. I pulled over and shut the car off. There is oil in the engine, but slightly metallic looking. I started the car and the lifters are making a racket, but the oil light is off.
I was towed to a garage and they said they hear a knock from the crank and that there is probably no oil pressure getting to the lifters. What happened? Is it time for a new engine?

Shows you how much they know about Buick motors...the rods get oil last, the lifters get the oil first...the oil pump feeds directly into passenger side lifter galley and across the front cam bearing to the drivers side lifter galley...The mains and the rods are fed off of the passenger side lifter galley...Take the car to someone who knows what they are talking about...These aren't Chevy's and Ford's which oil the rods and mains first...

How many miles on the motor??? Sounds like you lost a rod bearing...Probably #5 or #6(last ones to get oiled)...Time for a rebuild...Don't just do the bearings...Your connecting rod big end is probably way out of round, and if you put a new bearing in there, it will start to hammer it out and lose it as well...The motor need to come apart and need at least the rods resized and crank reground(if it can be saved) and new bearings...If cylinder bores are still okay, then hone them and re-ring them motor, new head gaskets, a valve job, bolt it all back together and you should be good to go...

Hope this helps...and also probably not what you wanted to hear...