You can type here any text you want

Engine?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboTime!

To start off, I have an 87 GN with 75k miles on it, mostly stock to run low 12s, high 11s. Paint is in good shape and no rust on the floor boards. I have a budget of 35k and there are several things I would like to do with the car. I consider myself experienced when it comes to Turbo Buicks, but would rather have a professional build my engine. My goal is to drive a street car with rare visits to the track. I would like an engine with some power to it. One where I can boast my ego with and brag about and have enough to back it up. I would like an engine that will not be tempermental and I can drive often and take it out for trips, show it off at car shows without the feeling of it breaking down or blowing a head gasket. Pro-touring is what I have in mind. Can power and reliable fit inside a turbo v6? I would also like to buy everything brand new, there is just something about using 25 year old parts that make me uneasy. I would like to bring this car to 2011 and get rid of all these wires and ancient technology! :biggrin:
I have been keeping my eye on TA's aluminum block. Sounds like overkill??? Stroker? Open to any ideas.

other things that will be done to the car without getting into too much detail that have been planned out with several builders. I have been sitting on this money in my account for 2 years now and feel like its time to spoil the lady! The engine is the last part of the plan and once budget is calculated the tear down will begin!!! :cool: Depending on where the engine budget sits, if need be I can wait a bit and save up a bit more. I only plan on doing this once and need your experienced help. I am located in CA.

Suspension, Brakes
Will undergo a complete overhaul to provide the smoothest ride, handling possible. Out with the old, in with the new!

Interior
Will remain the same for now.

Tires/Rims
Will remain the same for now.

Stand Alone system
Would like to replace stock ecm and equip an XFI Fast unit to better manage the car. a bit overkill but once again I would like the peace of mind over money.

Paint, Body work
Will blast down to metal and repaint, engine bay will be shaved down, body will come off the frame and frame will be coated.

Tranny, converter/fuel system
Depends on engine setup.

Misc parts I will keep
RJC 3 inch dual exhaust, RJC FM intercooler, Dual Spal Fans, Alky Kit (Not sure if I'll use) , 3 1/2 TA Downpipe with 3 Inch Y Pipe, TA Stainless Headers

gn

Sounds like you are about to head down a 2 year road of disappointments and delays to me and a lot of different hands working on your car.If you do choose to do this do it for the love of the car because you will spend a lot of money in which you will not recover.When we restore a car for a customer we like to do everything in house.It helps with compilation that can arise delays etc.And if something does go wrong nobody pointing fingers.I'm not saying that these kind of jobs don't turn out good but know your builders choose wisely be paitent expect set backs and good luck.For every good built i'll bet there are 5 members here that's got a horror story.

You should do some research before you start dissing it all as "ancient technology". At $35K you have pretty much whatever you want but there are not too many 25 year old cars out there that can be in the 11s , practically stock, for about $1000.00, if the maintenance is up to date. Yes you can spend money on much needed suspension improvements, and replacement wiring harnesses but you should at least know what you are giving up before you start buying a bunch of other stuff that may not be better than the 25 year old technology.

Back