Exhaust Replacement

I've ran the Hooker system for years and have been satisfied with it. Never droned enough to bother me and if I heard it at all just a slight adjustment in speed would take care of it. If I ever have to replace it then the Pypes is probably what I would go with. Installation shouldn't be difficult as long as you have enough clearance under the car to move the pipes around a bit. You may find it easier to cut the original one off just in front of the axle and bring it out in pieces.

I've used 3 Pypes sytems. First time, I "heard" that the street pro muffs were too much drone.
Called Pypes, and got the "skinny". DO NOT use the Streets on a Buick. Race Pro, and you are GTG.
Exchanged it @ Summit. NP.
Sounded great!
I also use their systems on the 2- 55 Chevy/Ls builds I've done. Sounds great.

You really have to decide on look, sound, cost, weight and material. I had the Hooker system on my car for a while. I liked the sound-quietish, little rumble. It did drone some, nothing crazy. The tails rusted out by the axle. Replaced the tails with the GN1 3". I wanted a muscular tailpipe. COULD NOT be happier. They are made of a superior stainless-304. Are polished and could be polished when dirty. Also noticed which wasn't even a deciding factor at the time was that they are feather light. Probably about 1/20th the weight of the Hooker tails. Just for that reason alone I wouldn't get the Hooker system. You can get an idea of them here:

Here's a couple of pics of my GN1 3" SS install.

Attachments

• 3 inch exhaust.jpg
    3 inch exhaust.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 3 INCH EXHAUST 3.jpg
    3 INCH EXHAUST 3.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 3 INCH EXHUAST 5.jpg
    3 INCH EXHUAST 5.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 62
  • BUICK 3 INCH EXHAUST.jpg
    BUICK 3 INCH EXHAUST.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 3 INCH EXHUAST 6.jpg
    3 INCH EXHUAST 6.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 59
Just an update: Had the afternoon to my self to remove the exhaust system from the cat-back. Lucky I had a reciprocating saw which helped a lot. I think i'm not going to go to a stock replacement and leaning towards the Pypes Race Pro SGG50R.

Looks like the pipes exit behind the rear wheels just like before which I like to confirm. My next dilemma is debating to replace the catalytic converter or not. Since I'm replacing the whole thing, why not! So far, it appears to be 'fun'.

Yes, the Pypes exits via the original behind the rear wheel spot.

There are many cat eliminator "test pipes" out there for sale as well as some folks that will fab one up for you.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!

Just an update: Had the afternoon to my self to remove the exhaust system from the cat-back. Lucky I had a reciprocating saw which helped a lot. I think i'm not going to go to a stock replacement and leaning towards the Pypes Race Pro SGG50R.

Looks like the pipes exit behind the rear wheels just like before which I like to confirm. My next dilemma is debating to replace the catalytic converter or not. Since I'm replacing the whole thing, why not! So far, it appears to be 'fun'.

A lot of guys like the Pypes Race Pro system.

When you were talking about a stock replacement exhaust, you had us all worried you were going to install a restrictive walker (or similar muffler sideways behind the axle) system.

I think most would not consider the Pypes system to be a stock replacement due to the mufflers being in a different location, regardless, you made a wise choice.

When I mentioned 'Stock', I was actually looking at the factory installation (Walter w/ the muffler sideways & behind the axle). I know I know, it's not the greatest but it is a stock GN. I had a hard time finding some of the parts and after thinking about it and reading your responses, I'm going w/ the Pypes Race Pro System.

Right now, I need to work on removing the two studs stuck in the catalytic converter. That is going to be 'fun'.

Go with a low cell performance cat. I have one and pass emissions with flying colors. Buy the core, mock up your exhaust and then find someone who can weld stainless well and have one that fits your car perfectly. You can always wait until winter when the car isn't going to be used. Then fab time is less of a big deal. Here is a nice start: https://www.deaperformance.com.au/p...ell-High-Flow-Performance-Catalytic/C1T250MBR

I can't tell but are the bolts that secure the y-pipe to the catalytic converter SAE or metric?

I ended up ordering the Pypes Race Pro SGG50R which arrived this past Wednesday. Well, I finally installed the system today and so far, I am happy. I went for a ride to check up on things. So far so good.

I"m in pain though and will feel it tomorrow but hey, who cares. I'll probably jack the car up and check up on things later in the week after I'm healed. I want to thank everyone for your input. Now, I hope to enjoy the car for the next few months before the first snow fall.

I ended up ordering the Pypes Race Pro SGG50R which arrived this past Wednesday. Well, I finally installed the system today and so far, I am happy. I went for a ride to check up on things. So far so good.

I"m in pain though and will feel it tomorrow but hey, who cares. I'll probably jack the car up and check up on things later in the week after I'm healed. I want to thank everyone for your input. Now, I hope to enjoy the car for the next few months before the first snow fall.

Snowfall????

It's 4pm in Phoenix right now and it's 113 degrees outside................

I’m glad you decided to do it yourself. It’s a great sense of accomplishment, plus you get to learn about your ride and now you have a few more buck to put towards the cool thing. Ahh, who am I kidding, it will be more maintenance items.

I"m in pain though and will feel it tomorrow but hey, who cares. I'll probably jack the car up and check up on things later in the week after I'm healed. I want to thank everyone for your input.

I hear you there, last month I was on and off the creeper so much my abs hurt for a week.