failed CA smog

turbobeast707

failed for High really High HC's,also failed the visual for coolant bypass hose and fuel pressure regulator hope I can find the stock one.. would a stock regulator help with smog and what is the stock fuel pressure set for? I have a TT smog chip for my setup, the only weird thing was that my my scanmaster numbers for my bl and Int were bouncing around when I was driving home from my smog. BL 132-160 and my INT were from 128-134. Have a barely used 3in cat, I replaced all spark plugs recently CR42ts gap set .32, new egr valve was just installed prior to testing, fuel pressure was set to 38 psi car running vacuum line off. any advice what I shold check or look for?
thanks,
Isaac

Attachments

• smog.JPG
    smog.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 197
The tech I saw wanted the stock fpr and injectors which I fortunately had. Lower than 38 is what the stock fpr will give you - might need a new chip burned for a stock fpr. What was the complaint regarding the bypass hose? How does your car run and smell? I think if your nose tell you its a bit rich that's not going to bode well for the real sniffer.

Well he didn't say anything about the injectors but it didn't smell that rich at all and was running really good. When he was doing the test he said that it had a stumble when he was holding the mph for the test but I still am looking for what would cause the high HC's. Could a bad Maf cause this I have an Cardone reman, in there and the plug comes out straight towards the turbo shouldn't it be at an angle for the plug could the maf, cause high HC's?
I should be able to use with my injectors with the TT chip if it is at 37-38 psi for a stock FPR, if I can find my old one...
Isaac

Is that even a smog requirement that the coolant hoses are hooked up? I didn't think that a bypass hose would be an issue..

Well he didn't say anything about the injectors but it didn't smell that rich at all and was running really good. When he was doing the test he said that it had a stumble when he was holding the mph for the test but I still am looking for what would cause the high HC's. Could a bad Maf cause this I have an Cardone reman, in there and the plug comes out straight towards the turbo shouldn't it be at an angle for the plug could the maf, cause high HC's?
I should be able to use with my injectors with the TT chip if it is at 37-38 psi for a stock FPR, if I can find my old one...
Isaac
The stock regulator is going to drop your FP from what you have now - might lean things to the point to where you get a lean miss. Your BLMs indicate a lean condition already. Might change your O2, it could be telling the computer you're lean and its trying to fatten things up which is causing your high HCs. I'm not an expert, just trying to pass on some things I've come across during my smog experience.

Kinda surprised he dinged you on coolant hose but passed on the obviously not-stock cat. It is a 50 state legal, 3 way cat, right?

More I think about it was a 2005 cat that I bought off a board member the cat was almost brand new but it had CA/ME epa on it? The muffler shop that put it on thought that it was fine that's about all I know.

also should I be using the stock style PCV? I currently have the RJC style one in there now would that make any difference on HC's? I changed out my maf sensor with a reman that was the proper type and my blm's went down to 109- 115 and are at 128 when I come to a stop is that where they should be with an emissions chip or should they still be around 128 when driving? looking for any possibilities of a soulution also will be replacing the O2 sensor. any input is appreciated.
thanks,
Isaac

I've heard some not so good reviews of the RJC style PCV. I use a stock replacement PCV, but did put a checkvalve inline.

I think if anything you want to be around 128 or slightly higher. I had a stock MAF that I thought was working well but I did back-to-back smog diagnostics between that and an LT1 MAF/Translator and the stock was much worse according to the sniffer. Plumbing a different size MAF into the stock plumbing can require some clever fitting of parts. The Translator has on its sticker a "For offroad use only" on it, will let your imagination figure that one out, as well as how your tech will like that if he sees it. If you're good with the iron you could always do this: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/translator-install-inside-the-car.346883/#post-2770821