You can type here any text you want

Fast and EGT together?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rtviper

Now that I have experienced head gasket failure on my stage II motor should I have been using an EGT guage? I have a sequential Fast system but dont have all the pieces to monitor each cylinder. I datalog the runs and everything looked great untill the gasket went away. Would an EGT guage have prevented this failure? I dont think I would have looked at the EGT during a 10.0 run so I wouldnt have noticed it during the run. My question is if you look at each run afterwards then what would the EGT have provided me that the datalog did not? I always thought the EGT would be redundit with the Fast? Still havnt figured out for sure what caused the gasket failure as everything except the gasket seems normal so I will have to run it again to see if it repeats itself.

If you were picking up detonation the EGT would have shown that with an increase in temp. As the FAST monitors AF.

Just becuase there is high octane doesnt mean its high enough.. if so, then nobody would ever blow a HG.

At your boost levels, unless something strange was off.. sounds like a mechanical problem. Head surface, block surface, oring depth, bad fasteners, etc... Maybe one of the StageII guru's can chime in.

rtviper said:
Now that I have experienced head gasket failure on my stage II motor should I have been using an EGT guage?.

It's a tuning tool, the more information, you have about what the engine is doing, the better you can tune it.

An engine will *feel* and run good numbers with high EGTs, and if you're not watching them, you'd never know there was a problem. You can have the prefect AFR, but still be off on timing end of the tune.

Thanks I agree with you razor I think it is a mechanical issue. I wonder if the fact the headgaskets intruded into the cylinder is a factor? The gaskets are Felpro 1000s and they are into the cylinder quite a bit? I dont know the exact bore of the 1000s but the bore on the motor is larger and I can lift the gasket off the head by running my finger up the bore. Feels like a good part of the ring on the gasket is into the cylinder. Also the small holes in the block between the cylinders are not in the heads if that makes any difference.

Here is a picture of the gasket. Most of the ring thats bent was hanging into the cylinder

Attachments

• gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 126
I thinks you've answered your own question. Look into a different style gasket. Maybe the SCE copper that you can trim to fit if the block has been o-ringed.

HTH

Gasket fire ring dropped down into the cylinder?? Looks like you should check into the max bore diameter for the gasket. Had a simular failure when the know it all engine builder used a Fel-pro 1000 gasket on a 4.020 bore engine.

Back