You can type here any text you want

FAST Importance of IAC

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KTamez

How tough would it be to run this sucker w/o IAC?? Fans and all that other crap can be handled seperately, but the ECU is maxed w/ what I consider other more important features.

I'm assuming I could get away with just adjusting the TB blades some to get the desired idle, but what about on the Throttle release, etc....?

Combo:
396 SBC 12:1 CR
Dart Single Plane Intake
Force EFI Dominator Throttle Body

Drag Race car only. Might see 30 miles on the street at the most.

Many Thanx in advance!

-K

On a naturally aspirated race engine it would not surprise me if it was easier to tune and get it to idle and drive well without the IAC motor. I have a 388 SBC with a big single plane intake and the same 2000 cfm TB you have. I do not use the IAC provision and it idles nicely. You may have to give it a little throttle blade to fire it, MAYBE, and you may also have to goose it a little while it's stone cold. I think you'll be fine without it.

i dont plan to run one.....my buddies twin turbo sbf stang doesn't have one either.

Basically you have to hold the throttle open a bit when its stone cold like craig said....then once it warms u just a bit it will idle by itself

Take a bit of tuning to get it there but once its there you're done and dont have to be watching for idle counts and other stuff

The fuel control capability you have with EFI vs. a carb will make it a lot easier too. You can richen it while it's cold with warmup enrichment and afterstart enrichment and that really seems to help. The IAC motor is a great thing, but engines like mine simply don't work well with IAC motors. I tune my engine in Alpha-N mode, which can really make the IAC motor a detriment. Since my tuning depends on throttle position and the IAC motor can vary the airflow without a change in throttle position, it's tricky at best to avoid idle surge and dead spots off idle. With speed/density it isn't hard but I don't make enough vacuum for speed/density to work well. The cam I am sticking in will be about 290 degrees of duration at .050 lift.

Originally posted by Craig Smith
The cam I am sticking in will be about 290 degrees of duration at .050 lift.

lol, you are going to have cam roll-over like my buddies cam did

what kinda motor is that going on?

388 SBC (3.75 stroke, 4.060 bore), 15:1 compression, AFR 220 heads, Team G intake, Force EFI 2000 cfm throttle body. Shooting for 9.50 or better with it and I think I can do it... I hope.

Hmmm, this is interesting for sure.

Craig, I was waiting for your reply to my other thread on the IAC, you said something about 2 minutes of work or something? I'd still like to know, for my own knowledge.

But right now I can start the engine by just giving it some gas pedal movement and it idles fine. So I may go without it all together. Mine is a 383SBC and MiniRam2 intake with 1000cfm TB.

Thanks,
Owen

Back