You can type here any text you want

fiberglass hoods

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
on our cars, i'm not sure if i like that style.the frt of the car is too square.how about a cowl hood.anyone have any idea of the weight differences?our hoods weight a ton.:D :confused:

Here's a few pics of my 89 GTA, it's a harwood 2.75" or 3" hood out of Jegs if I remember correctly, I put it on the car a while ago when I was doing the turbo motor swap. I dont know the weight difference but I can tell you I fairly easily lift the hood off myself when removing the engine or whatnot.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/411000-411999/411384_19_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/411000-411999/411384_21_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/411000-411999/411384_28_full.jpg

HTH,
Steve

i like that look alot.flows with the cars lines better.can you recall the price on that hood?i guess about a 30-35 lb. weight savings.thanks for the reply.:D

I'd be interested in a high-quality direct factory replacement 'glas hood with cutouts for the factory hood vents.

IMO ANY 4th gen ram-air hood on ANY 3rd gen looks tacky and trashy.

Originally posted by zerotta
I'd be interested in a high-quality direct factory replacement 'glas hood with cutouts for the factory hood vents.

IMO ANY 4th gen ram-air hood on ANY 3rd gen looks tacky and trashy.

I think a number of us agree on the 4th gen and would also like to see a stock replacement one. However, with a limited market there may not be cost justification for a manufacturer to make it. The setup cost on these things must be high.

I don't wish to bend this thread, but relative to replacement parts, I was told someone makes a light-weight complete replacement hatch that replaces the glass with (lexan?).

Has anyone seen one of these? Those hatches weigh a ton....

Originally posted by mark b
I think a number of us agree on the 4th gen and would also like to see a stock replacement one. However, with a limited market there may not be cost justification for a manufacturer to make it. The setup cost on these things must be high.
There isn't a limited market. They made hundreds of thousands of TA, GTA, SE's with that hood. I'm sure there would be a market for a stock fiberglass hood. Maybe just approach one of the major hood makers, might be all you need to do.

Originally posted by RobR
There isn't a limited market. They made hundreds of thousands of TA, GTA, SE's with that hood. I'm sure there would be a market for a stock fiberglass hood. Maybe just approach one of the major hood makers, might be all you need to do.

I didn't realize the TTA hood was on the other cars.

BTW - The only market that isn't limited is death..... as long as there are people. Otherwise, every market has a limit and even though there may be 100,00's, there are many less on the road and many, many less interested in buying fiberglass hoods. So I stand by my statement that it's a limited market, unless of course you don't think I'm entitled to my viewpoint.

www.vfnfiberglass.com has them in cowl and stock style. Weigh around 20 lbs. Think most are pin on though

The TTA hood itself is no different than any Trans Am/GTA hood of 1985-1992 vintage and will fit on any thirdgen Firebird.

Granted, when many (most?) people modify the exterior of their car, they want something that doesn't look stock. I like the stock hood looks myself, but wouldn't mind something lighter if it's high quality and could pass for stock when closed.

Originally posted by zerotta
The TTA hood itself is no different than any Trans Am/GTA hood of 1985-1992 vintage and will fit on any thirdgen Firebird.

So how many GTA's did they make in that period?

and now back to the fiberglass hood question,who has the best prices /quality on hoods.what is the weight difference between the two.

Define quality..... most fiberglass stuff needs work out of the box anyway. I've never seen one that doesn't. So is quality more of a general fit and possibly minimal finish work in your view?

Guys,

One issue on the aftermarket hoods is that if you get the WS6 style 4th gen hood you loose plenty of the sight forward.
I sold my hood rather fast after i had it mounted.

quality,meaning good fit,nice appearence,good molding technique
minimal prep to paint.prices anyone?jegs and summit come to mind for a harwood.i didn't know if anyone else had found a better ,less expensive distributor.any other styles?i've seen some poor quality mustang hoods and it's pretty obvious that the
QUALITY isn't very good.:mad:

Back