You can type here any text you want

Filter Mag filter magnets. What i am catching after new build

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
I know that the filter magnets are only going to catch ferrous particles, but it is kind of cool to see what is caught on the sides of the filter after you cut them open. This is about 1500 miles on this filter, and the second filter after my new build. Not much there, and the element is free of any visual particles. However with this being said, this is the black ferrous sludge and what it looks like. I guess this is from ring seating and general material break in.

Attachments

• 20160901_215623_resized.jpg
    20160901_215623_resized.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 20160901_215633_resized.jpg
    20160901_215633_resized.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 290
  • 20160901_215735_resized.jpg
    20160901_215735_resized.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 282
Just wondering Toby how did you keep the magnetics on the filter? I bought the Kirban one but it keeps falling off.

Just wondering Toby how did you keep the magnetics on the filter? I bought the Kirban one but it keeps falling off.

If you google filter mag, you will see that they are stout bastards, Its almost painful at times to get them off. They need slid down and off where my filter sits (turbo saver) I think it takes 15 lb of lifting force to pull them from the filter.

I know that the filter magnets are only going to catch ferrous particles, but it is kind of cool to see what is caught on the sides of the filter after you cut them open. This is about 1500 miles on this filter, and the second filter after my new build. Not much there, and the element is free of any visual particles. However with this being said, this is the black ferrous sludge and what it looks like. I guess this is from ring seating and general material break in.
Can you show a picture of the filter element and are there any numbers on it?

my filter element? As in the paper element from the Wix 51049? If so I cannot, trash day was today. FWIW, it looked like an a normal element, dark in color, oily.

my filter element? As in the paper element from the Wix 51049? If so I cannot, trash day was today. FWIW, it looked like an a normal element, dark in color, oily.
Did it have an o-ring on one end?

I have a similar question...the strongest magnets I've seen are the ones inside computer hard drives (I work in I.T.). Every time a hard drive packs it in, I disassemble it and remove the magnets. They work AWESOME as fridge magnets. In fact, they stick so good that it's not easy to pry one off with your fingernail. Wouldn't slapping a few of those on the bottom of my oil filter, oil pan and tranny pan accomplish the same thing, or even work better? Is there any downside or anything to worry about?

I have a similar question...the strongest magnets I've seen are the ones inside computer hard drives (I work in I.T.). Every time a hard drive packs it in, I disassemble it and remove the magnets. They work AWESOME as fridge magnets. In fact, they stick so good that it's not easy to pry one off with your fingernail. Wouldn't slapping a few of those on the bottom of my oil filter, oil pan and tranny pan accomplish the same thing, or even rework better? Is there any downside or anything to worry about?

Yes, they will work just fine. I recall reading a post on how to remove the magnets from hard drives to slap on oil filters.

Yes, they will work just fine. I recall reading a post on how to remove the magnets from hard drives to slap on oil filters.
Removing drive magnets is pretty easy. Disassembling the drive top plate requires a few sizes of 6-pointed star-tip screwdriver bits. Usually there's one or two extra screws hidden under the sticker, so if it's not coming apart, be sure to pull off the sticker. Once inside, the magnet (sometimes a pair, opposing each other) is adjacent to the disk and it's pretty obvious to see which screws must be removed to get the magnet(s) out.

I have a similar question...the strongest magnets I've seen are the ones inside computer hard drives (I work in I.T.). Every time a hard drive packs it in, I disassemble it and remove the magnets. They work AWESOME as fridge magnets. In fact, they stick so good that it's not easy to pry one off with your fingernail. Wouldn't slapping a few of those on the bottom of my oil filter, oil pan and tranny pan accomplish the same thing, or even work better? Is there any downside or anything to worry about?

those work awesome. I'm a big fan of magnets. I have two on my fuel filter, one on my oil filter and two per head nest to the drain back holes. Not to mention the oil drain and factory trans and diff magnets.

Back